Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS suggestions for hay boxes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Owlet
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Hello I’m looking for a suggestion of where I could get a hay box. I really like rabbit101’s meadow box. I like that it has a lot of space and I like that it has the mesh at the bottom for dust to fall through. However I would need to order 2 for my purposes and its EXPENSIVE and I havent even looked at shipping yet. So I’m looking for ideas on where else I could buy one.

I tried looking through etsy and I felt like nothing on there was big enough, or I didnt like their holes, or they didnt have the grid at the bottom, etc.

I dont think I’m handy enough to make my own but if it comes down to it I can enlist my dads help too i think i just rather avoid that if possible.

(note: I do not have rabbits right now this is just planning for the future)

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to Binkybunny!

Before considering how to reliably purchase hay, I encourage you to review the following webpage thoroughly to help inform your decision on whether a pet rabbit is right for you presently: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Deciding_on_a_rabbit

If, after review, you feel a pet rabbit is still a consideration… to your question, I just put hay directly in the litterbox for the rabbits, rather than putting them in a holder. While the idea is it reduces hay waste, I find most rabbits just pull all the hay out and having the hay tucked in a feeder inhibits their ability to access it all and forage through it, which is what they naturally want to do due to their nature.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

Instead of a box, I modified some toilet paper roll holders and I use those as hay racks.

I also put lots of hay directly in the litter box, as Wick mentioned. I like to do both because they do prefer to eat the hay directly from the box, but having the rack ensures they always have some fresh hay available (I have bonded pairs and they tend to trample the hay in the box quickly!).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• jerseygirl
            22338 posts Send Private Message

Mmm… my advice is don’t buy pricey items until after you have your rabbits and know what their individual habits are like. Save that money for future vet visits!

The hay boxes do look really nice and might help control the hay a bit but it will only take one industrious rabbit to create hay havoc! I spent half a day fashioning a hay holder and it took my rabbit 5 minutes to pull ALL the hay out…  At least it was low cost because I used what I had around.

If you really want to trial a hay box, a DIY prototype might be the way to go initially. Then if the rabbits take to it, invest in a nicer, sturdier version. Could you make something that using ikea knagglig crates? Lining with thin wood or wire mesh? Or adapt wooden nesting boxes made for chickens?

• NetherPixie
              Participant
              16 posts Send Private Message

I made one out of a cardboard box. I just taped it up then cut a whole at the top for the hay to go in and then cut three squares on the side where they could pull the hay out. Seems to be working great. I wanted to try it before I bought something expensive since by buns hate hay holders for the most part.  I wanted to try to waste less hay and I still put hay directly in the box because that is their preferred method. They seem to like pulling it out. I’ll see if I can get a picture later.

So far its working great so I think I’m just going to keep it and just replace the box when it finally give out.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS suggestions for hay boxes