Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Suggestions for a Needy Bunny????

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • skunklionshow
      Participant
      1257 posts Send Private Message

I had put this info into another post unrelated.  I could use some assistance/advice.

We just got Molly the lop b/c the family could no longer care for her and we were considering a bunny addition anyway.  Now I have a clinician that works w/ a foster kid.  The kid has a pet rabbit.  The rabbit was allowed in her previous foster home but not in the current home.  Not just b/c the foster parent doesn’t allow it, but the apartment manager also does not allow it.  The rabbit is currently living in a milk crate!!!!!  Apparently the kid never had a cage b/c bunny was free-range in her room.  When she moved they had nothing to put the rabbit in.  Please not that most foster kids use garbage bags for their clothes and belongings.  I’m broken hearted and not sure what to do.  Suggestions????

I was going to see if I could make a donation for a bunny shelter to take the rabbit…..I just don’t have the room or funds to take in another pet.  HELP?????

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

What a sad situation Obviously the bunny needs help, I would contact the local rabbit rescues just to see if you can find any that sympathize with the situation, but it is usually quite difficult to find rabbit rescues with any availability. Is there any way you can find out why the foster parent doesn’t allow it? I mean, I had bunnies in an apartment even though I wasn’t really supposed too…I just worked with the apartment complex and explained to them that my bunny was in an ex-pen, with a waterproof floor covering, and they were OK with that.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Poor kid and poor rabbit. I would do the rabbit shelter and donation too. You know your limitations and you may come across this a lot in your work and you can’t take every animal in need :~)

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

OH, that is just so sad. I feel so sorry for both the foster kid and the rabbit. I can’t imagine having to move around from home to home and the one thing you love and may be connected to has to be taken away. Not sure why or how a foster child was able to aquire an animal as this current problem could inevitably happen. SO sad.

Maybe, the foster parents could go to the landlord and explain the circumstances and agree to put down a deposit and sign some sort of pet agreement. I know in the past we have been able to convince landlords, who said NO pets, by talking to them, giving a deposit, signing a pet agreement, and in some cases having them come check out the set-up (xpen) to help them understand. I also typed up a sheet that had some basic myths about rabbits for a quick education. I’ll see if I can find it.

Anyone with a heart would not want to separate a foster child with a pet and if the foster parents showed full responsibility of the rabbit from the start including financial responsibility for any possible damage, that may help them win over a strict landlord.

Okay, I found a copy of the pet agreement specifically for House Rabbits.  The link to the open the agreement to a larger size is below the little photo of the pet agreement. 

Note I put the Rabbit.org website, NOT BinkyBunny.com.  BinkyBunny has a section about “House Proofing” that could scare landlords off. (even though these tips are to help PREVENT the damage, a landlord might see that as what would happen instead)  Our forums can be scary too when talking about territorial marking and such.  

So though this bunny may have to be more confined to an xpen with some sort of vinyl flooring and close supervision when out, at least they could stay together if it worked out. 

• RabbitPam
              11002 posts Send Private Message

I’ve had several landlords who had limits on pets or didn’t want pets, but OK’d a rabbit. Particularly when I emphasized that they are in a cage and make no noise at all. It’s as much about neighbors complaining as it is about destroying their property. I was very saddened by your story as well, and couldn’t think of good advice in such a difficult situation, but if there were a way for the child to keep this bunny, as in using BB’s form above, I would urge you to try to make it happen. The separation and loss for this child will be increasingly terrible if this continues. Try to help them stay together.

• skunklionshow
                Participant

I’m going to probe this a bit more.  I wonder if the new foster parents are also reluctant b/c the rabbit is probably not speutered.  I find that this cuts down on destruction and marking, etc.  I will be brining our new rabbit to the vet on Weds, I’m going to see if they would do a deep discount speuter…..sometimes the dr takes pity on me

I wonder if I would assist w/ some of the costs to get a better cage or x-pen and the speuter, many of these issues would be resolved?  Unfortunately I often have to hide my pet expenses from DH…..he doesn’t always get that to me it’s a donation towards animals.  I’ll keep you posted.  Let me know if anyone can think of any options.   I agree it’s bad enough that a foster kid has no home, but to have their pet homeless too……this rabbit is probably the only consistent in this kid’s life.  I know a former foster kid that worked at a grocery store and took pity on a lobster.  She actually bought the thing and kept it as a pet.  About a yr later, her foster parents ate it for dinner!!!   Nice, huh?????

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

How nice of you!!

That is terrible about the lobster….thats so sad for that kid

Yes I wonder too if you were able to help with a cage etc. if the parent’s may reconsider. You might find a cheap or free cage on craigslist or kijiji?

• KatnipCrzy
                    Participant
                    2981 posts Send Private Message

I would be awful to be a kid and have to get rid of your bunny- but to be a foster kid and have to get rid of your “friend”.  And pets are such wonderful friends that love you unconditionally and don’t judge you- that is probably what that poor kid needs. 

I would see if the vet is willing to do a discount speuter or if the local Humane Society will make an exception and do a privately owned pet if the situation does end up allowing the bunny to stay.

Usually dog crates can be pretty cheap on Craigslist or other sources- and they are nice because they have a top and break down easily.

• BinkyBunny
                      8776 posts Send Private Message

Posted By skunklionshow on 10/12/2009 10:50 AM   I know a former foster kid that worked at a grocery store and took pity on a lobster.  She actually bought the thing and kept it as a pet.  About a yr later, her foster parents ate it for dinner!!!   Nice, huh?????

WHAT…IN…THE ….WORLD….IS…..WRONG….WITH….PEOPLE!  ESPECIALLY Foster parents who should have known better as they are going to be caring for kids who may have attachment issues. Hopefully they are not allowed to be foster parents anymore.  Good Grief!

• LizzieKnittyBun
                        Participant
                        2147 posts Send Private Message

Ok, that’s just screwed up….

• skunklionshow
                          Participant

My clinician was going to give the family my offer for assistance.  I offered to do some major education w/ the family and the kid.  I’ve been wanting to do research in animal therapy….unfortunately I can’t find anyway that’s willing to support me w/ a population.  Everyone feels that animals “pose a public health risk” as they might bite clients.  He was going to discuss this w/ the family either today or last evening.  I wasn’t in work today, so I’ll check in w/ him tomorrow.

I think people would be SHOCKED by the crappy foster parents in this world.  I’ve heard stories that really make me cringe.  I’ll let everyone know the outcome from his visit. 

• wendyzski
                            Participant
                            1312 posts Send Private Message

I saw a story on this dog last weekend – http://www.archiethedog.com/

He is a Newfie who “works” at a center for at abused and neglected kids in CA.  Any centers who express concerns about “risk” for their populations should take a look at that site.  Archie helps both resident and day-program kids feel like part of a “normal” family, and former clients call and ask about Archie all the time.

• bunnytowne
                              Participant
                              7537 posts Send Private Message

I wish you success in this endeavor about the rabbit and that foster child.  Those children need unconditional love and a pet provides that.

Also it is good for the child as far as responsibilities are concerned too.  I bet that child makes a great bunny owner.

I hope and pray that you have success in your offer your educating and expressing the need that they stay together.

And they ate the lobster.  How low can you people go. 

• TARM
                                Participant
                                1253 posts Send Private Message

Oh man, how sad.

After I saw “Hotel For Dogs” I toyed with the idea of taking in foster kids when my two are grown and out of the house (as opposed to finding a man to settle down and live happily ever after with because I’m convinced that’s a myth). Not little kids but young teens, ones who won’t likely be ripped out from under me when I finally “housebreak” their bad habits out of them and will stay for a good, long while.

But then I thought of how many of them turn into evil hooligans and I was afraid they might hurt my critters. I’m back to considering it again, though it won’t be for another four years or so.

• skunklionshow
                                  Participant

My clinician told me that he was prepared to give my offer to the family and they reported that “they got rid of the rabbit….someone said they’d take it.”  I like to think that rabbit will now have a chance but I somehow doubt it.  Everyone give your little furballs an extra hug & kiss from the Skunklionshow.

Tarm:  DH & I have been talking about adoption.  Since my agency has a foster care program I talked to several of the “good” sw to get some opinions.  I had the same question as you….”aren’t most of these kids seriously damaged goods?”  I wish I could say that nicer, but I’m really to the point.  She stated that the system does have those kids, but often when it comes to adoption many of these kids lose all their baggage when in a steady regular home.  The same is true w/ some foster kids.  Just recently I consulted on a case w/ an 11 y.o. boy that has been w/ one foster family for 2 yrs.  The family was moving out of state and wanted to adopt the kid and/or get official permission for him to continue to stay w/ them.  It’s still tied up in the courts due to bio-mom and not likely to resolve anytime soon.  So sad!  Since the family moved he’s been hospitalized twice for “anger issues.”  Can’t imagine why?  I think you could find some good kids to foster and they would truly love your pets.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                    18092 posts Send Private Message

Oh, that’s so sad for the kid and the bunny. I really hope you can help them out in some way.

My aunt used to take in foster kids and she heard a lot of horror stories about where these kids were previously placed. It’s terrible. If you don’t love kids and want to help them, why would you foster?

• TARM
                                      Participant
                                      1253 posts Send Private Message

People do it for the money.

• MooBunnay
                                        Participant
                                        3087 posts Send Private Message

I hope as well that the little bunny has a good future ahead of him or her. And I hope that the foster kid is doing OK, I know it would be very hard on me to lose a pet, especially if I was in a situation of moving from home to home.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Suggestions for a Needy Bunny????