Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Suddenly poop everywhere

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mocha Moch Latte
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone.

We recently got our first rabbit– a Holland Lop and she is 3 months old. We’ve had her for almost two weeks and she has done AMAZING with litter training. She has had 1-3 pee accidents outside of her litter box. Poop is a different story but she seemed to be improving each day. However, we moved her litter box into her hutch yesterday and she is suddenly pooping and peeing in the same spot (tons) on the carpet of her exercise pen. This is very far away from her food bowl/hay/litter box area.

Any advice on what we should do? I feel like she was doing great until we switched it up. It was to make cleaning her area easier because of scattered litter but I am not sure. She was sleeping on the upper floor of the hutch at night but since I moved the litter box to the bottom floor of the hutch, she is not doing that anymore. Just pooping tons in the same spot a few feet away from her litter box. Like I said, this is our first bun so we are new to all of this. Any advice would be appreciated. Please see a photo of her enclosure below (before I moved the litter box to where her little bed is in the photo) and let me know if there is anything we can do to help litter train her.  Thank you!

• cappuccino/cappo
        Participant
        9 posts Send Private Message

Hello!
          I advise to move the litter box to the spot that your rabbit is pooing/peeing the most, and then slowly transitioning it back to her hutch. If she wants still wants to pee or poo in the same spot maybe try getting 2 litter boxes and putting one in the hutch. Also, how often do you clean her litter box? I remember once I left mine dirty for a while and my rabbit was going anywhere but her litter box.

• Bam
          16878 posts Send Private Message

If she is 3 months old, she is probably starting puberty. Pee- and poop marking is typical hormonal behaviour. Since she used to be litter trained, it’s likely that she’ll resume “good” litterbox habits once she is spayed and has healed. She’s still too young to be spayed, most vets want a girl rabbit to be at least 6 months old to ensure that the reproductive organs are easy to discern and remove.

Two litterboxes is a good idea.

I change litter as needed, but I have 4 litterboxes and my bun doesnt use all of them equally. I use wood stove pellets as litter and put har on top at one end, rabbits often poop when they’re munching on hay 🐰

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Bam. It sounds more like marking than not being litter trained. If she was consistently using the box before, there’s a good chance she will resume after she is spayed.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Suddenly poop everywhere