Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Sudden passing; Why did she die?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jess
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

My bunny Juno passed away suddenly and with no warning yesterday morning.

If anyone has any ideas what may have caused her passing so quickly it would really help bring me closure since I feel extremely guilty I was not awake in time to bring her to vet.

I was awake and in the same room as her 6 hours earlier and she had seemed fine. She mainly was cuddling/grooming her partner. I also noticed her eating her hay around the same time (her partner had gone through a couple bouts of stasis and I am always very watchful for the signs). When I woke up in the morning around 6 hours later she was dead, cold and stiff with her eyes open.

As background, Juno was a rescue so I don’t know her exact age but she was at least 6 years old. Juno had two instances 2-3 years ago where her eye bled and she had to be treated with antibiotics. The vet did a CT the second time and found a cyst but didn’t recommend removing it. She started developing cataracts around a year and a half ago and has been fully blind for over a year. In November I noticed her wheezing and took her to the rabbit vet the next day. The vet didn’t notice the wheezing (it had gone away by then) and the nasal swab came back negative.  The last time I saw her she was breathing a little heavy, but not so much where I thought something was urgently wrong. Juno was an apartment bunny and nothing has changed in the past 2-3 years so I don’t think it could have been poison.

I’ve always been so careful with my bunnies health and am racking my brain over what might have happened. Any thoughts about it might have been would be great appreciated. IMG_6852

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss. 🙁

Rabbits, like humans, can suffer from heart attacks and strokes. The fact that she was eating, grooming, and cuddling just hours before makes me think it was something like that, and that there probably wasn’t anything that could be done.

Again I’m so sorry for your loss. <3

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• FreedomBun
          Participant
          8 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss 🙁

You did the best that you could, you checked up on her and was monitoring her. Don’t blame yourself because no one could’ve foreseen that. You are a great owner and Juno is so lucky to have you to take care of her and have such an attentive owner.

I wish you and your bunnies the best <3

• Bam
            16838 posts Send Private Message

How pretty she was!

A stroke, like Dana says, seems likely. If her cataracts were due to e c, it could have affected other organs, like the heart. It’s not something a vet could pick up on in a normal exam. I don’t see how you could’ve prevented this, since she was eating and cuddling just hours before passing away. It seems like she had a wonderful life filled with love and great care.

It is very hard to lose a bun.

• BunnyLass568
              Participant
              434 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss 💔 As DanaNM and Bam said it could’ve been a heart attack or stroke. She’s a lovely little bun

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Current: Blossom and Thumper (5 year old buns)💖💖💖💖 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, 2-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, 9-14-2020), and Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, 8-3-2022) 💔💔💔💔

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                Participant
                2512 posts Send Private Message

That’s heartbreaking, I’m so sorry for your loss. Rabbits are such loving animals and it’s horrible when they go 😥

The way you describe it she wasn’t feeling ill: rabbits often withdraw if they feel ill. It all points to something that was unexpected and quick. I hope that you can find some solace in that.

How is her partner doing by the way?

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Sudden passing; Why did she die?