Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sudden Death? I’m So Confused

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • nikiway
      Participant
      77 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure if this is where I should post…

I haven’t been on in ages because life’s crazy and I’m trying to downgrade my time online. But today I went to my room to give Atti more hay for the day when I saw him laying on his side.  I must have screamed loudly calling Atti’s name because my brother came running in asking if I was okay.  But I wasn’t because Atti hadn’t moved.

I don’t understand how he can be playing with me yesterday but when I come home from school today, he’s not even alive.  He’s around 7-years-old and is a Mini Rex.  When I first got him I read that they live 6-10 years, but when I asked about that, ppl here said they should live longer than 10.  I don’t know if Atti was just an old man or if I missed something.

His poop has been normal, I have changed NOTHING in his diet or anything! But when I found him, there was stool coming out of his rear, and a pile of mucus covered poop a few inches away.  Everything I’ve read in the past never prepared me for this.  If his poop was solid and normal yesterday, why was it different today, yet he died the same day it changed?

I don’t know how to say it.  I feel like I missed something and he had to pay for it.  Last night he thumped once or twice, but I assumed it was because Charlie (kitten) was bothering him, I hope he wasn’t trying to tell me something.  I’m just in shock that Atti’s not here right now.  My mom came home from work to help me bury him, and it sucks even more because we just had our oldest cat put to sleep on Saturday.

If it matters, I got Atti when he was 6-years-old, and he was unneutered (he was supposed to be a breeder, but I would never do that).  Could the fact he was never neutered be a cause?  I’ve only had him for 6 months, and although it’s not that long, I feel like he’s been with me longer.  I just don’t understand what happend.

• KatnipCrzy
        Participant
        2981 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry for your loss.  It does not sound like it was anything you did or anything you could have prevented.  The abnormal poos by his body are probably not an indication of cause of death- it is most likely just his body relaxing after passing away.

Atticus was lucky to have such a devoted owner that loved him and gave him a better life.  I know there is nothing I can say to make you feel better about losing him, but it really does not sound like he suffered or it was preventable.  Binky Free Atticus!

• LittlePuffyTail
          18092 posts Send Private Message

My condolences to you on the loss of your bunny friend. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet and it can be very frustrating not knowing why. Rabbits often hide their illnesses very well and it happens this way sometimes. Remember the good times you shared together and let him live on in those memories.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh Nikiway, I am so sorry! How sad. Don’t blame yourself. Rabbits are very mysterious this way, and sometimes they have health issues that you just don’t know about. At the rabbit rescue I volunteered for there was the beautiful bunny that was just so much fun and everyone loved – she had the best diet, the best care, and one day she suddenly died. Later after an autopsy, they discovered she had a bad heart. 

He also may have been older than six – are you sure of his age? Many times people just have to guestimate since after five, it’s hard to tell how old a bunny really is for sure.

But the bottomline is don’t be hard on yourself, don’t blame yourself. He had a wonderful life with you and though it may have been short, I’m sure he felt loved, and the care and love you gave him was an incredible gift.

I am so sorry for your loss. HUGS

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

If you’re really concerned, you could get a necroposy done on her to find out why she died. I don’t want to upset you anymore but what you described sounds like it could have been a poison reaction. How old is your brother? Does he know what not to feed the rabbit? I have heard of more than one bun who died because a younger sibling didn’t know any better and fed them something that was very bad for them. If it was him, I have found that the best way to handle it is to have the child help with the handling of the body. Nothing gets engrained into a child’s mind than carrying a dead pet.  Shouting at them can actually sometimes build resentment against a future pet because it ‘got him in trouble’ the last time.

• nikiway
                Participant

Thanks guys, BinkyBunny, I’m not sure about his age. They said he was around 6 when I got him and since I’ve had him over 6 months, I’m assuming he’d be close to 7-years-old.
                  Mark, my brother’s 17 and doesn’t know or care about Atti. He only came running in because he thought I was hurt. I’ve looked all around his night time area and my room and nothing out of the ordinary in on the ground or at his disgression. I’ve fed him the same and treated him the same, and when we took Atti out of the room, Charlie was running around looking for him.
                  It’s gonna be weird tonight when Charlie doesn’t find Atti.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Oh I am so sorry to hear this!! That’s so sad *HUGS* They can live longer, but they can go at very young ages as well. It’s nothing you did, just maybe his time to go the bridge. It might sound silly, but maybe an angel needed a bunny *hugs*

• MarkBun
                    Participant
                    2842 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes rabbits do just suddenly leave us. There has been more than one that has just passed on at SaveABunny. I’m sorry for your loss.

• jerseygirl
                      22345 posts Send Private Message

Oh nikiway – I am so sorry!  I’m sure it is just part of the shock that you feel this guilt.  Please don’t blame yourself,  that fact that you had Atti in with you, kept check on his mood changes, appetite, toilet habits etc gave him a far better chance than many rabbits out there.  I thought same as BinkyBunny, that he may have been older than you thought and died a natural death.  Even at 7, that’s a good long life for a rabbit. 

Though this is a heartbreaking event, try accept it may have been Atti’s time to go.  Focus on everything positive about his life with you rather than think too much about his death.  He had a wonderful home to spend his last days.  *Binky Free Atti – such a divine little bunny!* 

• Sarita
                        Participant
                        18851 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’ve had this happen to me before and I was devastated – my vet did a necropsy but she was really unable to tell any cause and even sent some tissue out to a lab but still nothing that my vet could tell. I did not have much information on this particular rabbit since she was a stray before I acquired her. It broke my heart but I knew it was nothing I did – it just was one of those things and I only hope she went very quickly since I discovered her when I got home from work.

• sweetbluebun
                          Participant
                          102 posts Send Private Message

I’m so very sorry, I know it’s hard when a beloved pet passes away. Don’t feel bad, maybe it was just his time to go, just know that you did all you could to give him a happy life and I’m sure he was very happy with you during the time you had together.

• Beka27
                            Participant
                            16016 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry Niki. I won’t repeat everything that the others said, but most importantly, please do not blame yourself. Who knows what his life was like before you. Take comfort in the fact that he knew love and what it was like to be cared for in the 6 months you had him. Hugs…

Binky Free Atti!

• xParadise
                              Participant
                              182 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for him and I’m sure that short time he was with you, he knew he was loved very much. It’s so hard to see them go, but just know that for at least that six months you were able to give him a wonderful home and lots of love.

• nikiway
                                Participant

You’re all so kind, it makes me feel a little better knowing that it was probably his time. I wish I had the information from the people I got him from so I could find out the real deal on his age and how he lived before me. I picture a bunch of cages with a ton of buns, but the man selling Atti may have been a rabbit lover who cared for his bun really well. I will probably never know, but they said they’d mail out everything, and I never received any papers, but I didn’t care because I have no use for a paper showing he’s pure or not. The man who was selling Atti wasn’t there when I took him, so I think they may have lost my info.

The man whom I guess was selling Atti called me the next day offering me a baby rabbit (he wanted me to drive Atti back to him and swap for a different bun!), because Atti was supposed to be for breeding, and that’s when he told me he was 5 or 6 (I feel like he said 6, but I’ve read my own words saying 5 so I’m not sure) and a baby bunny would live a lot longer, but I said I wanted Atti (I had the night to bond with him, and I knew I couldn’t just throw the relationship away) and nothing more was said. So maybe by telling him I’m not breeding him he didn’t send info? Who knows…
                                  I just hope Atti’s up on Rainbow Bridge with all my past kitties, waiting for me and having a great time playing with all of your past bunnies.

Thanks for all of your kind words, they help a lot.

• wendyzski
                                  Participant
                                  1312 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss.  At 7ish and unneutered it could have been anything.  Rabbits hide it so well when they are sick, and there may not have been any symptoms to see.  You clearly cared for him very well, and I’m sorry you had so little time with him.

Maybe in time you will be able to share what he taught you with a rescued or shelter rabbit who has never had the chance to have a loving home.

• bunnytowne
                                    Participant
                                    7537 posts Send Private Message

Awe  how sad.  That was certainly sudden with no signs at all.    The poo …  when someone or pet etc passes the body expells fluids or poos a lot of the time.

That was so unexpected.  OH dear.  HE will be ok he has a nice meadow to run in and play with other buns waiting to reunite with their human companions.

• lilmizzsnickerz
                                      Participant
                                      318 posts Send Private Message

its so sad .. i found malibu and didnt notice till she didnt come out for a cuddle and i lifted her out of her box lucky i didnt see the other two as my bf dealt with it ..still it took me months to get over

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sudden Death? I’m So Confused