Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Sudden death at the vet

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • ARK11
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I’m sitting in the parking lot of the vet right now and I don’t know what else to do other than making this post.

My 5 year old perfectly healthy bunny just died at the vets after a health check up. I’m still shocked as I haven’t seen her body. I just got a call from the vet, I couldn’t go in with her because of covid 19 regulations at the clinic.

I just don’t understand what happened. I dropped her off an hour ago at the vet for a checkup and everything seemed fine. The check took about 45 minutes and they brought her back to my car right after. On the way home she wasn’t moving much and only sitting still. As soon as we got home, she refused to come out of the carrier and started making gasping noises and flopped over on her side and kicking her legs. Obviously this was terrifying so I called the clinic and brought her back right away as an emergency. And 2 mins later I got the dreaded call as I’m waiting like an idiot in the parking lot again.

What killed my bunny? Was it stress?

Usually one of us would be with her during the exam but couldn’t this time as covid 19 meant that I couldn’t go with her. I’m regret every decision I have made today. Please don’t take your bunny to the vert during these strict regulations if you can t be besides them.

I don’t know what to do, I can’t imagine life without her.

• DanaNM
        8928 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh, I’m so so sorry. 🙁

My mind goes to a potential heart attack. Is your vet able to do a necropsy? I would hope they would given the circumstances. Did the vet say anything about the check up itself?

I’m also obligated to ask, are you within the RHDV2 outbreak area? It causes sudden death, which could have been coincidental to the vet visit.

Again I’m so so sorry. 🙁 My heart goes out to you. <3

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• jerseygirl
          22342 posts Send Private Message

Sending so many (((hugs))). I am very sorry for you loss. I know this hurts so much & must be such a shock.

I agree it was likely something like a heart attack or stroke.

I understand your regret taking her today but please don’t beat yourself up over that. Your intention was to get her a health check -a perfectly normal & caring thing to do- and there is no way you could have foreseen what happened today.

• HipHopBunny
            Participant
            640 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry! 😥 Don’t blame yourself! You were doing the right thing by taking her in for a check-up, there is nothing wrong with that! It was unfortunately her time. It is always a hard blow when they leave us. It leaves you in shocked and devastated confusion. Having a feeling of coming home to find her there like you always did, but she isn’t anywhere you can see, she is in your heart.

It is okay to grieve, to have a few good cries, but certainly don’t grieve forever! Don’t lose the person you were before she left. That beautiful girl is still there under the grief, let her shine through. Your bunny wouldn’t want to look down and see you devastated, she wants to see the person she knew before. You sound like an excellent rabbit mama, making a great life for her. She was very lucky to have you in her life. 🙂

Wishing you peaceful thoughts and love.

• ARK11
              Participant

Thank you DanaNM, jerseygirl, and HipHopBunny for your kind words.

The clinic does offer necropsy and I have asked them to perform one, they also suspect a stress-related cardiac arrest although they say she behaved perfectly fine throughout the check-up and had a normal heartbeat. But she was so shocked and refusing to move/eat treats when she was returned to me that I don’t believe that. She had previously had a traumatic spay surgery which got infected at this clinic when she was young and has absolutely hated going for checkups since. I believe that fear combined with being alone inside the clinic without us is what killed her 🙁

I am in northern Canada and I don’t believe we have not had any RHDV2 cases here.

• DanaNM
                8928 posts Send Private Message

Again I’m so sorry. 🙁 Hopefully the necropsy will bring you some answers. You did the right thing by trying to take her for a check-up, we just never really know how long we have with them. 🙁

In some time you might like to make a memorial post about her to help remember the amazing years you had with her.

(((Binky free little one)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
                  16869 posts Send Private Message

I’m so very sorry this happened.

Binky free, sweet little one 💔

Of course it was the right thing to do, to take her for a check up. Good, conscientious rabbit owners do that.

• prince dorian the bun
                    Participant
                    743 posts Send Private Message

Oh sooo very sorry, even worse to have her pass away while you were not with her. I can only try to imagine how in shock and grief stricken you are. As everyone said please do not feel you did anything wrong. Also when you feel up to it, I would love to hear about your bun! I find sharing stories keeps them alive in our hearts and I know for me it always helps. & I love hearing about peoples bunnies! Sending much condolence to you and sweet binkies over the rainbow to your bun.

• Missmybunny
                      Participant

Hi I’m so sorry for your lose I had a mini lop that died yesterday and I feel awful and responsible.  He had a few bouts of gut stasis but they never could work out the cause and after a visit to the vets recovered.  After the last time I asked the vet if I should rehouse him as I couldn’t take on another they said he was in great condition and I should hold off. He was a house bunny with lots of space indoor and out- this time he never came home and I feel like its my fault somehow there was a blockage but they didn’t know what. Maybe he was bored and overgroomed we only had him 2 years,  he didn’t like visitors but happy with us. He was a gorgeous bunny with a gorgeous coat how could I have left this happen.

• Michaela
                        Participant
                        29 posts Send Private Message

Couldn’t agree more with all these replies, particularly @jerseygirl. It was a perfectly normal act of love and care to take your sweet girl for a health check up. I lost my lovely little boy on Saturday night – it’s horrible. Wish they could live forever. My heart truly goes out to you <3

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Sudden death at the vet