Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Success!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • SugarBinky
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hello all,

I had previously posted about my then 10 month old (and 2 mos after spay) Netherland dwarf hotot, Sugar, reacting horribly when I brought a 4 month old male home with plans to neuter a few days after he arrived. Even though he was several feet away and she couldn’t see him, she became extremely aggressive and even bit me, which she had never done before, or since. I took him back to the breeder within 24 hours and exchanged him for a 4.5 month old lilac Nethie, who we named Shade, and now, after about 9 weeks, they are happily bonded! They never fought at all. Thank you to all who have shared their bonding stories, because your advice was invaluable as I researched bonding techniques. Here’s what worked for us:

Week 1 – brought him home, housed him in a large cage 8 feet away, pet him thoroughly, and presented my hand to Sugar. She sniffed for a few seconds and then went back to eating her hay, which I took as an excellent sign. He was neutered 2 days later.

Week 2 – Shade had healed well from his neuter, so I moved him into the other half of her ex-pen (which is usually 8×10 feet but divided in half), but placed cardboard and blankets between the pens so they couldn’t see each other. Territorial marking ensued on her side.

Week 3 & 4 – swapped litter boxes and removed visual barriers. I placed a sheet of green garden wire between the pens so they could sniff but not touch each other, so pens were about half an inch apart

Week 5, 6, 7 – swapped bunnies. Sugar developed GI stasis in the middle of this and spent a day at the vet’s and 2 nights in the care of our local shelter owner because I had to leave town. I resumed swapping litter boxes the day after she got back, and swapping bunnies once she was pooping normally.

Week 8 – began dates – I did a combination of stress-bonding and smushing then together, followed by time for them to get to know each other. First date was 7 min in a box in the dryer, then 7 min in bathtub. He flopped next to her within 2-3 min in both locations. Next day was 30 min in bathtub, and she groomed him! I then did five 2-3 hr dates daily depending on when I got home from work, most of which involved then eating together in the litter box and Sugar presenting her head for grooming, then Shade basically flopping on top of her head. LOL (They figured it out, eventually – I’ve seen both of them grooming each other.) We did have one incident of chasing in my room and she started looking aggressive, and I took them for a car ride afterward, and they ended on a positive note. After a 7 hour bathtub date, I moved them into the cage in their room (semi-neutral) for 12-hr daytime dates while I was at work. I put them back into their pens at night, but kept swapping pens. After 4 days of this, I left them in the cage for 24 hrs, and every time I checked on them, they were snuggling or eating together in the litter box. I cleaned her half of the pen, threw out all of their toys and hidey houses, and moved them there for their first overnight in their territory. I checked on them regularly and found a few tufts of hair in the morning, but none since.

Week 9 – after 6 days in half of the pen, I removed the central barrier, and they’re happily enjoying their new space! They have one litter box, 2 food and water bowls, and new toys, and she is still enjoying my company and grooming me. He is curious about me and will let me pet him, but tends to run when I first show up, probably as a result of all the picking him up and freaking him out during bonding. We’ll get there, but overall, I’m thrilled!

• Doodler
        Participant
        337 posts Send Private Message

I am so happy for you and your buns!

I do feel compelled to put a warning for people looking for bonding ideas that happen to read this. It seems the route you went included a lot of time where they weren’t being observed, unless someone else was observing them all those times and you neglected to mention it. I am only basing this on the fact that you said they had 12 hour daytime dates while you were at work and then you left them for 24 hours and made a statement about every time you checked on them. This can be extremely dangerous for many pairs. Normally it’s recommended not to leave them alone while in bonding sessions like that. I am glad that you feel it has worked in your case though!!

I hope your boy does come around after he gets over the picking up! I am sure with time he will.

• Asriel and Bombur
          Participant
          1104 posts Send Private Message

It also sounds rushed tbh. I wouldn’t have been eager to keep leaving them alone for long periods and then rush right into cementing their bond when they had fought enough to pull fur. I’d really keep an eye on them, as this could cause issues in the future

• SugarBinky
            Participant
            6 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I recognize that what worked for me may not work for everyone. Just sharing my story and thanking you all for yours.

I had a bunny cam on them, and people at home when I was at work, and the bunny cam overnight, but nothing happened. They spent all of their dates eating or sleeping next to each other, and during playtime, they binkyed and groomed each other. There were no issues whatsoever during the dates, no fur tufts at all until their first night in the pen – and that happened within the first 2 hrs (I think he tried to mount her maybe, I never saw that during any of their dates and the cam didn’t record it). No fur tufts since, and it’s been a week. I would have proceeded much more slowly or just paid the shelter owner to bond them if there were ANY signs of aggression, but even the one time I was concerned in my room, I couldn’t tell if it was just over-zealous binkying and zoomies, and I erred in the side of caution. And I was texting the shelter owner periodically for updates and advice, as well. But I trust my instincts, and my bunnies, and they were sending good signals.

So of course I’m watching for problems. But they’re doing very well, and I’m happy that they have each other as company!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Success!