Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Submissive rabbit avoids me

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ditta
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hi!I have a bunny couple: a girl and a boy. The boy is the dominant and the girl is the submissive one. Both of them neutered/spayed. They get along well with each other,  but the girl doesn’t not accept any cuddle/pet from us, humans. The boy loves to be cuddled. What is the problem? I use the same bonding techniques for both of them.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

How long have you had them? Most buns don’t like to be held, and some are less interested in pets. It generally works well to play “hard to get” with shy bunnies, meaning spend a lot of time with her but don’t force any interactions.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Ditta
            Participant

Thanks for the answer. I have had them for five years now. Ginger (the girl who keeps distance) was friendly before spaying and before she got a bunny friend. I don’t try to lift them up, I leave them on the ground while I’m making contact. I usually just lie on the ground near her, give her treats from my hand. Then time to time I reach out slowly but that scares her. She jumps on my back rarely when I lying on my stomach.

• DanaNM

Hmmm, I wonder if you could try some clicker training with her as a way to bond and interact that doesn’t involve petting? You would prob need to separate briefly from her partner (as simple as just keeping one in the pen and letting the other one out). If she takes treats from your hand then she would probably enjoy it 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable
              5781 posts Send Private Message

Some rabbits don’t seem to enjoy how human pets feel. Maybe it feels to unusual or unnatural, considering how large our hands are compared to another rabbit licking them with their tiny mouths!

I agree in some sound association. For my past rabbit Fable, it was helpful to do some repetitive baby talk with exaggerated tone and song to give her a heads up/signals on what my plans are in terms of leaving her alone vs am going to try and approach her for a pet. I will say starting with just a single nose “boop” then stopping was a valuable starting point.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Ditta
                  Participant

I’ ve never tried clicker I thought it works only with dogs. But that sounds interesting. I’ m going to look it up how does it works, thanks! Yesterday evening we separated them for a short time (my husband  played with the sociable one in the other room) and I stayed close to the roaming shy one but no touching. I’m going to spend some time this way everyday.

• DanaNM

Rabbits learn clicker training very easily! I always make a kissy noise when I give a treat and my buns come running from all corners of the house LOL

• Ditta
                      Participant

I’ve had a song that I used to sing to them when they were sick or in hospital but it never occurred to me that this way the song is associated with pain and bad feelings. Thank you for the tip! I find another song/sound/clicker and use it when something good happens, like treats.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Submissive rabbit avoids me