Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Stupid Parents!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lippy
      Participant
      10 posts Send Private Message

I’m new to the site, but have been reading it a lot for ages… it’s given me a lot of information thank you very much!!!

We’ve had OJ for about 4 months now and have sent him to the vets to get neutered today.  But, funny thing, until today we thought he was a she!!   

That’s what we were told and we never thought to check!! 

Poor thing will have some gender re-alignment issues after four months of being called a "little madam".

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Lippy,

Misidentification of the gender of rabbits is really really common, even with people who know a lot about rabbits.  In young bunnies, it is even harder because the males’  testicles do not show right away.

I read a really funny writeup once about a lady who found out that her girl bunny was actually a boy.  So she stopped calling him "my sweet little girl" and started calling him "my big boy", or something close to that.  The bunny got mad!   He wanted to be called a sweet girl!  She had to go back to using female language with him, because he had grown used to it.

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

Lippy,

Glad you’ve been getting lots of good information on Binky Bunny! We’re happy you’ve joined 🙂

It can be hard to properly sex very young bunnies, many pet store bunnies are mis-sexed. Even worse – it happens often when people buy a pair of “sister” and then one day there are babies! I’m glad this didn’t happen to you! At least there’s OJ is a pretty gender neutral name. 😀 I am glad to hear you had him neutered though.

Osprey – your story cracked me up!

• dmh426
            Participant
            433 posts Send Private Message

I started calling Sophie “Sophie” since, um she was 48 hours old. At her first appt. I SWEAR I felt like an expectant mother when they said “She’s a girl!” I thought “yea!!!!” and then had a moment of “Well, duh she’s a girl, her name is Sophie Gracie”- I hadn’t even considered the fact that she wasn’t a girl. How funny.

• Theresa Moan
              Participant
              249 posts Send Private Message
                Posted By osprey on 02/06/2007 9:17 AM
                Welcome Lippy,

Misidentification of the gender of rabbits is really really common, even with people who know a lot about rabbits.  In young bunnies, it is even harder because the males’  testicles do not show right away.

I read a really funny writeup once about a lady who found out that her girl bunny was actually a boy.  So she stopped calling him "my sweet little girl" and started calling him "my big boy", or something close to that.  The bunny got mad!   He wanted to be called a sweet girl!  She had to go back to using female language with him, because he had grown used to it.

That is so true, Osprey; all three of my buns know their names, especially when I call them in the bunny-voice.  My bf and I have the habit of talking to them in a higher pitch, and singing little songs to them, and they totally perk up and listen when we do that.  If we have a regular conversation between each other about work or whatever, the bunnies ignore it.

• poopy
                Participant
                684 posts Send Private Message

oh he’s so cute!

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Lippy!  There’s another bunny here by the name of OJ.  I’m assuming it stands for Orange Juice?  OR???  does your bunny drive a white bronco?    

I just ditto what everyone else is saying.  It is so common for this to happen.  Maybe he’ll have to go into some Bunny Therapy.

It does take an experienced eye to be able to determine whether a baby is male or female.  It can even be difficult when they are adults, but is especially challenging when they are babies. 

• Lippy
                    Participant
                    10 posts Send Private Message

OJ actually stands for Ollie and Jane – his ‘parent’s’ names!! We get lots of comments about OJ Simpson and Orange Juice!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Stupid Parents!