Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING stressful and bloody situation/mystery

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • nella
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Something very stressful just happened. I have 2 young rabbits. Eevee, who was spayed about 2 weeks ago, and Finn, who has just reached the age to be neutered, which he will be very soon. Finn is a month younger than Eevee and he lives in a pen in my room where Eevee has free range of the room.

Eevee and Finn are pretty comfortable with each other through bars. Eevee often lays right outside his pen and they sniff each other through the bars no problem. But lately he’s been honking a lot whenever she comes near.

Well just a few hours ago I went upstairs to my room and found the heavy gate I keep in front my door laying on the ground and Finn was just sitting there outside of his pen. Eevee was at the opposite side of the room and there were 2 quarter sized drops of blood on the floor as well as territorial poops. I checked both of them immediately after putting Finn back in his pen. They both were acting normal as if nothing happened and I couldn’t see any type of blood or punctures on either of them. The fur on Eevee’s back seemed a little wet and so did Finns testicle area but that’s all I found.

Im not too too concerned about them since they‘re acting normal and I don’t see anymore blood but I am super curious if anyone has any idea of where it could’ve came from or how it could’ve happened ?

And I am worried about whether or not this will affect their bond in the future as I was planning on bonding them the month after Finn gets neutered. Any response is greatly appreciated and thank you for reading 🙂 .

• Sirius&Luna
        Participant
        2319 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can nip through bars, but its strange you couldn’t find the wound. I would give them both another close check, it would be good to know exactly where the blood is coming from so you can check the wound is clean.

Now that this has happened once, it’s likely to happen again. One of my buns once got a bitten nose for sticking it through bars, and it definitely didn’t teach him to stop doing it. It would be a good idea to set up double bars / place a cardboard barrier around the bars so that they can’t bite each other as they can inflict really nasty bites.

This shouldn’t have a lasting effect on whether they will bond, but it’s important to stop it from becoming a regular thing.

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

Agree with S&L, and just wanted to add you should probably mention the blood thing to the vet, in case it has something to do with her recent spay. Injuries can be well hidden by fur so you might check them over one more time. Where there clumps of fur around?

And are you very certain it was blood and not dark urine?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• nella
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you guys for the helpful responses! I still can’t find where the blood came from and i’m quite certain it was blood because it was bright red and their pee has been normal. There were no clumps of fur anywhere but Eevee does have a lot of fur and doesn’t like being touched too much so it’s difficult to be sure she isn’t wounded anywhere. I am going to be taking both of them to the vet just to be sure, though! Thank you again.

• DanaNM
              8901 posts Send Private Message

I think a vet visit is a good idea, just to make sure she didn’t injure something internally in the scuffle. Can you check on her spay suture?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING stressful and bloody situation/mystery