Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Stressed bunny not eating

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rusti
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

I trimmed my bun’s nails last night and she’s seemed stressed since then. It was the fourth time doing so. She doesn’t love it but gets a treat afterward and behaves normally. But after trimming last night, she didn’t want any treats, not even her favorite. Not sure why this trim made her so stressed. (She was eating normally just minutes before the trim.)

I stayed with her a while to observe and she seemed really tired. She would go to lay down but then within seconds pull herself back to sitting. She did that several times, like she wanted to remain alert even though she was tired.

I checked on her throughout the night trying my best not to stress her further, but she’s remained in her hiddy-house. She took a little parsley at one point but as soon as she heard a sound in the house, she went back to not eating.

Her tummy feels normal to me, maybe just a little softer this morning. What can I do? Should I give Pedialyte? Or is our only option an emergency visit to the vet?

• Rusti
        Participant

I should add she has had a few droppings that I can tell. But they’re small.

• Wick & Fable
          5771 posts Send Private Message

Some rabbits take a bit more time to bounce back from a stressful event. If the nail trimming did not happen, is there anything else that coincides with these symptoms?

How is her breathing? Are her eyes relaxed or are they wide open and still “bugged out”, showing anxiety?

When is the last time she has eaten and pooped?

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Rusti
            Participant

Thank for your response!

No recent changes. She was her usual friendly albeit cautious self. She was eating happily throughout the day and even just before trimming.

While sitting on her own her breathing is normal. Her eyes are tired. She’s often closing then while sitting up. Her breathing and alertness increases a bit when I’ve felt her tummy or tried to give her food but other than that, she’s very calm.

I haven’t seen her eat since about 2am. And just a little. But she may have some gay when I haven’t looked, is hard to tell. She has had a few droppings here and there, even just an hour ago, though they are small.

• Rusti
              Participant

She’s still the same, I’m going to take her in. I’m very worried that our vet isn’t in today and we’ll have to see another vet who doesn’t usually see rabbits. 😟 I wish I could go in with her but covid guidelines mean I wait outside.

• DanaNM
                8901 posts Send Private Message

Any updates? Where you able to take her in? I wonder if something was brewing before the nail trim?

Was there any more struggling than normal during the trim? Could she have potentially been injured?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Rusti
                  Participant

I just got home from the vet. Sadly she needed to stay overnight. Her belly was empty and she was a little dehydrated but there were no blockages or obvious signs of injury so they ran labs and did an ultrasound amoung other things. They found she has Liver Lobe Torsion. Apparently not uncommon in Holland Lops. She’ll need surgery tomorrow.

They said it was caught early and the vet has had great success with the surgery. I hope she’s feeling safe. It breaks my heart to leave her there.

• Wick & Fable
                    5771 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear about this, but yes, it is great that it was caught early! A rabbit at a rescue I volunteer for recovered well after her liver lob torsion surgery. Also, these things can happen pretty spontaneously, so if at all you are blaming yourself, do not. The best you can do now is take care of yourself so you can be present for post-op care.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM

I also know of a rescue bun that successfully recovered from this, it’s great you caught it early!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Rusti
                        Participant

Thank you both so much for your responses. It’s helping me to keep a positive mindset.

@wick
                          , I really appreciate what you said. It’s hard to not to think “If only I…”. As much as I’ve studied and learned, there is much that can only be learned by living with bunnies. I’m sure trying by best.

• Rusti
                          Participant

Just wanted give a little update:

Willow had her surgery a week ago and it went really well. They were able to do her spay while in there so she won’t have another surgery to go through. She was eating/pooping normally with a day of coming home. Other than probably hating my guts when I have to give her medicine, she has been happy and healed very well.

• DanaNM

That’s so wonderful to hear! Thanks for the update!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Stressed bunny not eating