Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Stray bunny – advice please!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Becker1116
      Participant
      22 posts Send Private Message

Hi there!

I recently lost my beloved bunny of 7 years. It’s been 3 months now, and I’m definitely still grieving.

By coincidence, I saw what appeared to be a wild rabbit while walking around my neighborhood the other day. I found him a second time recently and this time I brought food. He’s big and the color of a toasted marshmellow. He hopped right up to me and started eating pellets, and then he settled down for a cuddle. So loving and sweet.

I was told by multiple neighbors that they had seen him roaming around for a while now, but they didn’t believe he had a home or anyone looking after him.

Well, today I looked further into the neighborhood trying to find him, and wound up finding his home base. I believe it’s the house he was abandoned at. Apparently he “showed up around Easter” and the current occupants of the house started feeding him, grooming him, and keeping an eye on him. But he comes and goes as he wants.

This changes things for me. Upon being told that he doesn’t have a home, I decided that although it’s a bit soon and I’m still grieving, I was ready to take this guy in and give him a loving home. I love him so much already. I still feel ready to take him in, but now I’m concerned that taking him away from his home base and his routine and his wide space to roam (he goes up and down the block) in order to keep him inside my house or in my backyard would make him sad rather than happy. I know he would be safer, and I know I would give him so much love and so many snuggles. But I’m worried now that it would be selfish instead of caring towards him to take him in with me. What if he’s happy with his current life, even if it’s tenuous/not that safe? What if taking him away from the caretakers who look after him makes the bunny sad and the caretakers sad?

Part of me feels that I could give him a wonderful home, and part of me feels like who am I to decide what will make him happiest?

Where I’m at now (but I’m very open to advice, please!): Start bonding with him. Visit him every day or most days. (I have to wait for a roommate to move out before I can move the bun in. It’ll be 3 weeks ish.) Bond with the caretaker and invite him to visit if I take the bun in. Eventually take the bun home and just see if he likes living inside. If he obviously gets depressed, antsy, destructive, aggressive, etc, then take him back to his previous situation, where he currently seems fairly at ease and happy.

Thoughts? Please give me your guidance! Thank you!

Becker

• Hazel
        Participant
        2587 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for trying to save this rabbit! 🙂

I don’t think it really matters what he likes best. Sure, any animal (or child for that matter) would prefer to go where it wants and do as it pleases, but only up until the day something bad happens. I wouldn’t automatically assume he’s happy, either. Prey animals live very short lives in the wild, not just because of predation but also because of stress. They have to be on the lookout for predators constantly, every sound or movement is a potential threat. Being on edge like that 24/7 is very taxing, mentally and physically. Yes, right now he has food and some sort of home base, but that doesn’t mean he’s well taken care of. I wouldn’t worry too much about what his caretakers think, they said themselves that he’s not theirs. It’s nice of them to feed him, but if they truly cared about him they would take responsibility for him and wouldn’t let him roam the neighborhood. In the end, chances are he won’t survive long in this situation, so they will lose him soon anyway, either because you took him in or because something horrible happens to him. I would take him in as soon as possible (is there no way for him and the roommate to coexist for a few weeks?) Three weeks is a long time for him to stay out there.

I guess it’s obvious where I stand. 😆

Imagine if he got run over by a car tomorrow. Would you have regrets or would you think “Yes this is sad, but he had all the freedom he could want and that was worth it.”? Therein lies your answer.

• Becker1116
          Participant

@Hazel

Thank you so much for this advice! This is pretty much what all my friends are saying, as well.

Unfortunately until the previous roommate moves out and I move into her room (hardwood floors), I can’t bring him into our house. (My room is carpeted.)

But he has been outside for 4 months already, so I am just going to cross my fingers that he’ll be alright for the next couple weeks. I will be going to see him every day or most days, bond with him, bring hay, get to know his current caretaker so he feels good about me taking him in. I might also scoop him up to go to the vet before actually taking him home, but I do think I would prefer to wait to do that until I don’t have to then release him back outside. So I think I’ll wait until I’ve taken him in permanently to take him to the vet. (Or take him twice…)

Thank you again!

https://ibb.co/kMJ0yV9  <– the bun 🙂 he’s big! Part giant, says his current caretaker
            (Edited by Wick – Link reviewed and approved.)

• dove
            Participant
            43 posts Send Private Message

Make sure to give him spots where he’ll have friction on the hardwood floors (mats and whatnot) or else he could get splayed legs.

• Becker1116
              Participant

@Dove

oh, yes. Of course! I just bought 2 rugs today 🙂 I wouldn’t let him run around on hardwood floors with no mats or rugs, he’d be so uncomfortable >.< I just need the hardwood versus the carpet, because my previous bun ate a hole the size of my foot out of the carpet at my previous apartment. Haha!

• Bernard2020
                Participant
                139 posts Send Private Message

That’s awesome you want to help this rabbit!
                  Back in February someone abandoned two rabbits and they lived between my backyard and some neighbors. At the time I didn’t know anything about rabbits so I thought they would be safe. Unfortunately one of the rabbits didn’t make it (the black and white one in my profile pic)  and they were only out there for three months. After that I did research and trapped the other rabbit but it’s really hard knowing I could’ve saved the other rabbit and didn’t. But I think your plan is great and that rabbit is so lucky to have someone like you to take him/her in 😊

• LBJ10
                  16869 posts Send Private Message

We often recommend confining a new bunny for a little while so they have time to settle and become familiar with their new household. If you brought this bunny in before your roommate moves out, you could keep him in a small enclosure for that week or two. It would give him time to adjust before he is given free reign over an entire room. I would hate for something to happen to this bunny before you can get him inside. He really should be brought inside as soon as possible. It’s just not safe outside.

• Becker1116
                    Participant

Thank you for your advice, folks!

I have an update. I am emotionally exhausted so I’m just going to copy-paste my facebook post. For context, 3 months ago I lost my bunny of seven years. I am very much still grieving.

“I have an update, but I am still extremely upset, so bear with me.

Was out sitting by this guy and feeding him and giving him lots of pets. Lots of people walked by and were saying hi to the bunny. I found out he’s been living out here for maybe 3-4 years.
                      Several people encourage me when I say I might give him a forever home.
                      Next thing I know, a new guy who apparently lives at the house comes up and starts telling me to quit creeping around his car. I’m like dude, I’m just here to feed the bun.
                      Long story short, we have a long heated discussion about what’s best for the bunny. Turns out they’ve been taking care of him and letting him run wild for several years. (I thought it had been 4 months. Dave said “he showed up around Easter” but I guess he didn’t say what year.)
                      This guy, Jeff, not only more or less tells me to f*** off and quit butting into their situation, but also when I try to explain that I know what I’m doing with buns and give some details of the different illnesses Persephone overcame, he says “but it died, sooo”, implying that I am bad at caring for bunnies and I let her die.
                      That is exactly what my own guilt says to me all the time, and I am now a complete f***ing wreck over being spoken to in that way and accused of that.
                      As much as this was a terribly stressful and painful interaction for me, I can understand where this guy is coming from. (Not the way he spoke to me.) He – unbeknownst to me – and Dave love the bunny, give him food and water and a heated area to sleep, and have done for years. I can understand why someone suddenly trying to take him away was very alarming.
                      I was told the bun didn’t have a home, so I was preparing to give him one. Now I’m understanding that although I don’t agree with letting him roam outside, he does have owners who care about him, and I can’t just take him away. It also doesn’t seem like I’ll be able to convince them to let me do so, either.
                      Jeff gave me his phone number and said I could text and stop by, and come look at the bunny’s situation in their yard, and we could talk about getting him a checkup at the vet and coordinate that.
                      So all of that is promising.
                      But it looks like I won’t be taking him home.
                      Which hurts.
                      And that comment f***ed me up. It was really hard to finally hear the words from my inner bully coming out of someone else’s mouth.
                      I might not be able to engage with this situation for a little while. Good thing he’s being taken care of – that’s a relief, because it means if I check out from this for a little while, that’s not me letting him down.
                      Sigh. I’m so sad and tired.”

• Hazel
                      Participant

Ugh, I’m so sorry that happened, what a jerk! 😡

Please don’t take what he said to heart. You know you did everything you could for your bun, unfortunately it’s not always enough but her death wasn’t your fault. I can’t believe he’s trying to make you feel guilty when he’s barely providing the bare necessities for this poor rabbit and making him live like a feral animal. What a hypocrite. He probably knows that you’re right in saying the bunny needs a better home and that’s why he lashed out.

I’m still kinda confused, so there are two different people taking care of this bunny, and one of them is the actual owner? Then why is the other guy taking care of him as well? The first guy seemed into the idea of you taking him home, why didn’t he tell you that he belongs to the other guy? Maybe the first guy can talk the other one into letting you take the bunny?

• HipHopBunny
                        Participant
                        640 posts Send Private Message

Ugh, I have some precise language I’d like to say to them. Don’t let them get to you, as Hazel said, they know inside who is in the right, so they want to make themselves look tough by trying to bring you down, and when people do that to you know you have the advantage. They are teasing you because they are jealous of you, use that to your power. Ignore them, or just send love their way, and they will find, they get nothing out of bullying you. You are better than those jerks, they want to see you crumble, so don’t give them that satisfaction. Don’t stoop all the way down to their level, you are amazing, and a valuable person.

Your bunny did NOT die because of you, you are a GREAT rabbit owner, take pride in who YOU are, and what YOU have accomplished! You are a kind person, who was trying to give this bunny a better home, a better life, and a better person to be with. Anyone, or rabbit who you spend time with, is a VERY lucky one to be!

I hope all goes well with the meeting you are going to have, wishing you luck, and we are ALWAYS here for you. 🙂

• Hazel
                          Participant

Ditto everything HipHopbunny said.

So he won’t allow you to take him, but he’s considering “letting” you take him to the vet? Like he’s doing you a favor? Don’t let this guy take advantage of you, I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually wanted you to foot the bill.

• thumpersbinkies
                            Participant
                            2 posts Send Private Message

I would truly simply take the bunny and provide him with proper care. If you’re soo irresponsible that you let your rabbit roam outdoors, then you can suffer the consequences when someone takes them. Just like people who let their cats roam outside and are then shocked when they are hit by a car or go missing.

I think if you’re capable, you should take this animal away from what are quite frankly, poor living conditions. House Rabbits should not live outdoors.

• BB Administrator
                              Keymaster
                              392 posts Send Private Message

In this case, I strongly recommend you do NOT take the bunny. While I understand others have good intentions (and no reason to defend yourselves as we FULLY understand why the option for taking is desirable – believe me, we get it), But as one of the owners of BinkyBunny,  I cannot promote this as a viable option —  legally  this would be considered stealing).  You could actually get into legal trouble, especially because “Jeff” knows who you are and it would be rather coincidental that their bunny would go missing.  If he contacted the police about a “stolen pet” then they could contact you and it could turn into a whole mess.

Instead I would contact your local Animal Care Service and find out what the local laws are on the care for a rabbit.  While the bare minimum is required– food and shelter,  I do not think free roaming in the neighborhood is actually allowed.   You could turn the bunny into Animal Care next time it is out roaming and then put yourself on the list to adopt if he is not claimed.   Sounds like these people really want to put in the least effort and they may not claim him.  If they do, they will be warned to keep better care.

The other option is to keep in contact with Jerky Jeff and warm your way into things where they become a bit dependent on you but you don’t allow them to take advantage – Don’t pay for vet bills.  They will find this a burden and may give him up to you if vets are required and expensive.  This may not work — it’s just a chance.  I did this with someone who kept their bunny in what I considered filth outside, and he could be “jerky” too.  But by Animal Care Control standards, he would just need to clean up the hutch a bit.   It took months of me patiently working my way in. I visited the rabbit,  cleaned out the cage at times, gave treats, hay and food and then one day, the guy just didn’t want to deal with the bunny anymore and I said I could give the bunny a good home. I took the rabbit to find a good a home, because I already had two at the time.  I found a GREAT home as a house bunny  where he was loved and cherished the way a house bunny should be.

Helloworld!!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Stray bunny – advice please!