Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Strange noises!??

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gingerxmistyxo
      Participant
      29 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys,

up until a couple of months ago the only noise I’ve ever heard my rabbits make were tooth purring and the occasional thump if scared. However a couple of months ago I heard a cooing kind of sound. At first I didn’t even realise it was one of the rabbits until it’s become more frequent. I’ve checked them over and can’t see anything health wise and it’s definitely not wheezing/ something to do with their breathing. Can anyone give me any idea to what it could be? I’m not sure if it’s my boy or my girl but they’re both neutered so I don’t think it’s hormone related. I was quite worried at first and searched everywhere but I can’t seem to find anything on the noise they’re making.

PLEASE HELP!
        thanks in advance guys! X

• Bam
        16872 posts Send Private Message

Some rabbits are more vocal than other. My rabbit has a rather wide repertoire of communicative sounds. He honks or buzzes rather like a bee when he is excited. He grunts when he isnt pleased.

Cooing is regarded as a happy, content vocalization. Here is a list of some sounds buns can make: http://www.animalbehavior.net/LIBRARY/Rabbit/EFRR/Rabbit_Vocalization.htm

I’ve never heard what they describe as “barking” though.

• Gingerxmistyxo
          Participant

Hi,

thankyou so much. I just found it rather strange she or he I really can’t decide which one it is ha! tends to make the noise when they’re stood still.

• Bam

The important thing is to rule out if it is a sound of discomfort. A congested nose can make a slightly squeaky sound. If your rabbit is doing this while the couple seem to be blissfully relaxed, it could very well be just a sound of contentment. Is there any chance you could record it so we could listen?

Even neutered rabbits can make “hormonal” sounds, for example honking. Some neutered rabbits honk at the prospect of getting a treat. They can also circle the person who has the treat.

• Gingerxmistyxo
              Participant

Hi, I can try but the noises seem to be at random times. Normally when they are led down and from nowhere they coo

• Bam

It doesnt seem like sth bad. If it were congested-nose-sounds, it would increase when the bun is excited. I had a bun with a congested nose, it was more audible when he was eating a favorite treat or if if he was upset for some reason, f ex when being handled.

• kanin
                  Participant
                  139 posts Send Private Message

If it happens while they’re laying down and resting/sleeping, it could be snoring. When one of mine snores I could see the noise being mistaken for a cooing sound as well.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Strange noises!??