Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Strange Bunny Poops- Could Use Some Advice

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • CinnamonPearl
      Participant
      69 posts Send Private Message

Hello all! You may not remember me, I was here on the forum for a little to prepare for adopting a bunny. Have been busy since then, but Clover has been doing well! Or at least, I hope. I have some concerns about his poop that I was hoping you all could help me address. Lately, I’ve been finding some strange ones in his litter box. There are two different sorts of oddities that I’m finding.

The first, which has been going on for longer. I often find poops of his that aren’t perfect spheres, but instead broken up in some way. After checking the bunny poop sticky, I tried not to think much of it cause I read that they collapse easily and figured he was just stepping on them, but since they’ve continued to occur, I wanted to be safe and ask. Here’s a picture of what they look like:

Most of these were found in the litter box, though the top left was found outside of it, in his favorite sleeping spot in the closet. Having tiny accidents here and there is normal for him, though I’ve never found one out of his pen. I’m not sure if this is relevant, so I decided to bring it up just in case.

And the second oddity is a much more recent development. Some of his poops seem to be misshapen. They’re elongated rather than perfectly spherical. I unfortunately don’t have pictures of these, as I wasn’t able to find any in his box after cleaning last night, but if more turn up, I’ll post pictures.

Can anyone shed some light on this? If there’s potentially something wrong, I would like to bring him to the doctor as soon as possible! I haven’t had Clover near long enough to risk losing him now. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

Those look like poops that your rabbit tried to eat, but realized they weren’t cecals.Wick does this pretty regularly and makes a mess wherever it happens, oi vey.

Elongated poops can be poops that don’t have adequate fiber (typically fro hay), which makes them more dry, leading to solid poops. Elongation occurs when it’s exiting, and because it’s a bit more moist, it’s more malleable… at least that’s my understanding.

How is hay consumption? I’m actually at work and cannot keep the picture of poop on my screen, haha, so I cannot reference your post, so apologies if you’ve addressed this.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• CinnamonPearl
          Participant

He eats a really good amount of hay! A nice pile about as big is he is every day, sometimes even more. I have to replace it twice a day, which is more than the once a day I had to do when I first got him. Other than that, he gets 1/8 cup of pellets (Oxbow garden essentials) in the morning and 2 cups of veggies (usually romaine lettuce, baby kale, or spinach) in the evening. I did skip a couple of veggie nights the past few days, just from scheduling mishaps. We’re back on track now, though! I don’t give him any treats, though he does very occasionally manage to steal a mouthful of the sunflower seeds I like to nosh on. So rude! > I try very hard not to let him get them, cause I worry about the shells getting caught in his throat. Thankfully no trouble from it yet.

• Wick & Fable
            5782 posts Send Private Message

If all else is normal, it’s probably accidentally crushing them while they’re still warm from exiting, or nibbling them. Both are normal!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• CinnamonPearl
              Participant

Ah, I’m glad! I definitely don’t want anything bad to happen to Clover. Thanks for assuaging my worries!

• kurottabun
                Participant
                908 posts Send Private Message

Echoing what Wick said. I do find similar looking poops in Kurotta’s litter box as well. It has a grate so anything he eats halfway and drops will end up below the grate and he can’t reach it anymore.

One day I saw him bending down to eat “cecals” (couldn’t see it properly due to the angle), but when he turned back up chewing, something dropped from his mouth and fell below the grate. I checked and it basically looks like the same thing in your picture.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Strange Bunny Poops- Could Use Some Advice