Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Strange bugs on my rabbit

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sunflower78
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

The vet doesn’t know what these things are. They look like they are static but I picked one up and it started moving. He has these all over his bottom fur and on his back. I searched for everything but have come to the conclusion they aren’t flea dirt, fur mites or lice. If they were fur mites I would see dead skin flakes but there are none, these things all they do is chill on his fur and don’t seem to be attacking his skin or anything. https://imgur.com/1g6RNZO

• Wick & Fable
        5770 posts Send Private Message

Did your vet recommend any treatment? Have you tried combing them out? Do they seem to be growing in number? It would be good to know if this was a spontaneous occurrence, what sort of environment your rabbit is in as well. How long have you had your rabbit and is this how he’s always been?

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Sunflower78
          Participant

The vet did not administer anything as he said they are not fleas nor fur mites. I have a flea comb that I tried to use on him but they pass through the wires so it’s ineffective. I use the hair buster and that’s the only way I can see them crawl in his fur but I can’t rip out all his fur like that.
            he’s been living in my room for some time but I keep my room tidy, no carpets anywhere. had him since dec 2017 but I can’t tell if he has had these bugs for a while longer as I never checked his fur like that. It’s very unnoticeable. The only thing I can think of is he got these from outside as I let him out in my balcony to play for a bit about 3 weeks ago. Maybe dragged from outside and they multiplied? They’re more prominent on his sides and his back end, didn’t find any on his face or neck so far. Can’t tell if they multiplied

• jerseygirl
            22338 posts Send Private Message

It’s a shame the vet didn’t look at some closer under microscope.

Can you gently lay some cello tape on the fur and get some out for closer look?

The only thing that came to mind for me is hay mite???

• LBJ10
              16869 posts Send Private Message

Hmm… could be hay mites.

I’m surprised the vet didn’t prescribe something just to be safe. Ivermectin would be effective against most mites.

• Hazel
                Participant
                2587 posts Send Private Message

Agree with LBJ. He should get some kind of treatment to try to get rid of them, whatever they are.

• Sunflower78
                  Participant

I will post a picture soon when I can. I have been recommended beophar fly guard spray, Do I simply spray this all over his body?
                    I will also be looking to find a new vet because he couldn’t bother checking them under a microscope. I also think these are hay/static mites. Any picture I found of these have been to look the same. Reddish coloured on his fur, more like translucent to white in colour with a black head

• Wick & Fable
                    5770 posts Send Private Message

I am not experienced with that fly guard spray, so I cannot vouch for its safety. You would probably still need to go through the task of manually removing all of them so itd be good to find a tool or method that works best.

I think finding another vet sounds like a good avenue. It is odd the vet didnt try anything or give you any recommendations.

If there is red spots, that would be a sign that they may be affecting the rabbit’s skin. It is reminiscent of flea poop being red with blood and mosquitoes. It is good that it hasn’t done noticeable damage, but getting treatment immediately would be wise!!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Sunflower78
                      Participant

I tried to get some on the tape but unfortunately they are too small to get a decent pic. I was also wrong, i found some of them on his neck too :/

http://prntscr.com/tgei9f

http://prntscr.com/tgeige

• Bam
                        16836 posts Send Private Message

Beaphar Fly Guard spray has ivermectin, which is closely related to selamectin (Revolution, Stronghold) and safe to use on rabbits. It kills a variety of parasites. I found these instructions:

• Sunflower78
                          Participant

I just ordered it and pray this stuff will help my poor baby 🙁

• Peanutthebunny
                            Participant
                            239 posts Send Private Message

i hope the spray works i definitely think that they are hay mites or fleas

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Strange bugs on my rabbit