Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Stinky poop?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gina Won
      Participant
      108 posts Send Private Message

Hi all,

So sorry for the unsavory nature of this post, but I was wondering if bun pellets are supposed to have any odor or not. My bunny Floppy, ever since I adopted her, has had somewhat pungent smelling poopies. She drinks a lot of water and the tend to be rather dark and not overly dry. Seamus’, on the other hand, don’t smell at all and are always fairly dry in consistency.

I’ve also noticed that this pungent odor seems to change a bit depending on the type of hay I give her. For instance, we ran out of timothy hay and so I switched to this back-up bag of a different brand, which smelled different, and thus produced different smelling poops from her. Same thing happened when we tried giving her orchard grass.

Just as a note, it’s not like I’m sticking my nose into her litter box either! We’ll be sitting 15-20 feet away at the table and suddenly I’ll catch a whiff. It’s like, "Op, I think Floppy just laid a batch!" We also change her litter box every other day, so it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with old litter simply laying around.

Also, I’ve checked her anal glands and they’re squeaky clean. So it can’t be attributable to build-up down there, and the fur around her bum is clean. However, when I check down there and lift up her tail, her "scent" just fills the air! And yup, she has been already been spayed. Please let me know any of your experiences or insights pertaining to the matter!

Thanks!!! Appreciate it muchly =D!

• Gina Won
        Participant

Hmm. Maybe it’s just the way her glands smell, or the specific combo of flora and fauna bacterium in her tum tum?

• Faye Perry
          Participant
          114 posts Send Private Message

I know exactly what you mean, I don’t what causes the ‘stinky poos’ but i have the same thing with mable.  It doesn’t always happen, but when it does we know about it!  we can be sitting down the other end of the room and suddenly we smell that Mable has ‘bobbed’!!!  My brother was here one night and he thought it smelt quite onion-y… also she does the biggest pellets i’ve ever seen a bun do!! i mean she’s not the largest of rabbits, but her poo’s are seriously big!  sometimes i’m astounded at the size!  they always seem healthy in consistancy and amount – just on the large side.  Booboo’s are relativley normal in comparison x

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Bunnybabe – Large round hard poops (as long as they are not squishy) are actually a good thing.  It most likely means she is getting lots of fiber.  However, if they are squishy and smelly, it could mean she has something that needs treatment – like coccidia. 

Bopped:  I love that term you use!     Yes, we have some bunny bopping going on in our place too.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

Ligeia – Bunnies who are marking their territory will leave a smelly scent on their poos.     It also could be diet as well.  Since you’ve already checked the anal glands, then it could just be that she has gas, is marking her poos, or it’s just her diet.  I know Jack gets smelly if he gets too many treats.  And Rucy gets smelly, when she thinks Bailey has pooed in her litterbox.   And Bailey, well, she’s just smelly because she has a very sensitive digestive system, and "bops" a lot.

• Gina Won
                Participant

Bunnybabe– yes! What goes on with Mable is the same thing that happens with Flops… it is indeed a bit of an “onion-y” smell sometimes! And I love how you used the word “bopped!” Very descriptive verb choice =)

It’s interesting because, perhaps like Mable and Booboo, Floppy and Seamus both get the same (or very very similar) diets and yet one of them tends to have the stinky poos. However, what BinkyBun said sheds some light on that situation… that individual digestive systems may just react differently to the same diet, kind of like your Bailey and her sensitive tummy.

Thank you for the consultation, both of you! It helped me understand and made me feel a lot better!!!

• Faye Perry
                  Participant
                  114 posts Send Private Message

Ligeia you are more than welcome!  its always good to know that your not alone in any situation and this place really helps when you don’t quite understand the logics of the bunny world.

i actually don’t like onions but if i did i’m not sure i could eat them after smelling mable’s onion-bob….eeeurrggh

Binkybunny – Mables ‘bobs’ are always firm (looking, i’m not squishing them) and look really healthy, its just the size of the bloomin things.  She is a very greedy bunny and there is NEVER anything left in her bowl, ever! Her hay goes – everything.

• Theresa Moan
                    Participant
                    249 posts Send Private Message
                      Posted By BinkyBunny on 10/08/2006 12:39 AM
                      Ligeia – Bunnies who are marking their territory will leave a smelly scent on their poos.     It also could be diet as well.  Since you’ve already checked the anal glands, then it could just be that she has gas, is marking her poos, or it’s just her diet.  I know Jack gets smelly if he gets too many treats.  And Rucy gets smelly, when she thinks Bailey has pooed in her litterbox.   And Bailey, well, she’s just smelly because she has a very sensitive digestive system, and "bops" a lot.

How do you check or clean anal glands?  Where do you look?  Is it a PITA?

Hugo probably needs it…

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message
                        Posted By Theresa on 11/15/2006 1:28 PM

How do you check or clean anal glands?  Where do you look?  Is it a PITA?

Hugo probably needs it…

I’m not sure if you’ve checked out this monthly bunny maintenance guide , it explains how to spot the glands and to clean them with a q-tip and water (mineral oil also is good for it).  It’s kinda stinky, but isn’t that awful

https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/MonthlyMaintenance/tabid/64/Default.aspx

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Stinky poop?