Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Still over grooming

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • ubergoober
      Participant
      71 posts Send Private Message

Well Miss Thang here keeps overgrooming her chest.  It looks like she may have nested in the past and yanked out a lot of the hair then.  But now she wont leave it alone…any advice to get her to stop messing  with that area.  I dont want her  skin to get irritated etc. 

She has a lot of toys, lots of neat things to play with and stimulate her…mind you most of the time she just lays there being the cute little furry bum she is.  She has her "playtime" for a few hours every day where shes out in the hall…so I dont know if shes overgrooming from boredom. 

How can I keep MIffy away from that spot on her chest?  MY solution isnt what my husband wants to hear tho lol….get her a friend to groom! lol

• ubergoober
        Participant

Adding that no she isnt fixed yet. We are working up to this as we just got her a few weeks ago.

• poopy
          Participant
          684 posts Send Private Message

i wouldn’t worry unless its irritated to the point of bleeding. do get her fixed though, that may help

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes overgrooming is due to not enough fiber. Does she eat alot of hay?

• ubergoober
              Participant

I think she does….her poops seem to be fine as well so I am assuming shes ok with the fiber. I will watch her more and see how much she really is eating. Its hard to judge since her pile gets flattened etc from her laying on it while munching and I throw out any she pees on..I will keep a better eye on how much she actually consumes tho

• FuegaNetsah
                Participant
                44 posts Send Private Message

Oh, a topic I know about. My purple girl started yanking out her hair…she started doing it in front of me! Of course I freaked. Called the rabbitry where I got her and was told to relax that she was just nesting. I have a zillion bed pillows most are on the floor and they like to lay behind them. I watched Oren *my male* take a piece of straw mat behind one and I walk over and tilt the pillows forward and holy nest. There was paper, straw, gobs of hair. She did evenually stop. Check the spot where she is pulling most and see if it feels hot. If it doesn’t, I wouldn’t worry. If it does feel like a hot spot you might want to nudge her away when she tries to pull.  

Donna

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Still over grooming