Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Static Shock!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • sweetbluebun
      Participant
      102 posts Send Private Message

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but I wanted to know if anyone else had this issue with their buns.  My buns are constatly static shocking me!!! Right now, Cheeky and Guppy are housed in their individual xpens in my basement.  Their pens are over a tiled part in front of a backdoor, that is covered in vinyl with pieces of carpet over that.  Well they never really seem to build up enough traction running about in their pens, but during their out time they get the entire run of the carpeted basement (which is pretty large).  They run constant bunny 500s, especially Cheeky who seems to know he is faster than light speed (Guppy is a bit goofy when he runs because of his huge feet that he hasnt quite grown into yet).  Well all of this is very fun to watch but when they come up to me for pets and treats I am constantly getting shocked!  Cheeky will come up to me and SHOCK, it smarts a little but I’m not so worried about me as I am for my little buns!  I know he feels the shocks because his head snaps back.  Then he’ll cautiously peer forward and the second time around theres no shock.  The shocks don’t seem to affect Guppy as much but I can tell he still feels them too.  I would say I get at least 2 shocks per bun everyday, I was just wondering if that was alright for them and if there might be some way to stop them from happening!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Usually in the winter when I have my heat on that happens – with just about everything. I guess because it’s such a dry heat inside the electrical shock happens.

• sweetbluebun
          Participant

Hmm that could be why. We’re going through an usually cold winter here in the DC area, so the heat is on high and the carpet fairly plushy so I’m guessing that doesn’t make a good mix.

• MimzMum
            Participant
            8029 posts Send Private Message

I live in Alaska…humidity is non existent here in winter. When I rub my bunnies’ ears, they get all charged and the poor things have to pull away from me and wash their ears until the tickling stops. (I also have cats, so every time I touch one of them I get zapped.)

Perhaps touch something that would normally ground you before that bunny gets too close so you discharge the shock if you can?

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

My buns are also super static charged. It’s just that time of year. Bindi has pretty long hair and when I pet him it goes all crazy. It makes him pretty hard to brush. And I often zap Stormy when I give him a kiss on the head. Poor buns

• Hedi
                Participant
                969 posts Send Private Message

You need to go buy a small room humidifer for the area where your buns are. Shocks will just hurt and startle them like they do us. Just using a small room humidifer will make it stop completely. We keep one in our living room and if we dont have it on in the winter we shock eachother as well as the rabbits.

• sweetbluebun
                  Participant

That’s what I was thinking, that it’s just too dry. Cheeky had an issue with the fur on the back of his ears because of it. It started falling out so I had to move him closer to the backdoor so it’s be a little cooler for him. Awww I feel sad when my poor little buns get shocked because I know it does hurt them. I have a humidifier that’s pretty good, I will put in the basement. The problem is my basement is so huge that the mositure might just disappate into the space. But maybe it will help

• skunklionshow
                    Participant
                    1257 posts Send Private Message

Leo has more of a prob w/ the dry heat, he’s a lion head (cigar exploding kind).  His mane is so staticky and the hairs stick everywhere to the condo, the maze, etc.  His mane is thinning b/c of it.  We put a small humidifier in their general area.  It has really cut down on the shocks, but he still has the thin main.

• Lindsey
                      Participant
                      69 posts Send Private Message

It is common here with Charmin and his long hair. He shocks me all the time and constantly has staticy hair. haha

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Static Shock!