Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Stasis or not stasis? So confused!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kimber
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hi all! Last week (Tuesday night) I noticed that all the sudden my Luna’s poops were much smaller than normal. I took him to our vet the next day to get him checked out and while she said that the smaller poops were concerning and that it could be the beginning of stasis, there was nothing else to indicate any issues (no indication of pain, X-rays were fine, and they even did a quick aspirate of a small pea-sized lump on his ribs). The vet gave him sub-q fluids, put him on a strict diet of hay and wet greens, and gave me cisapride (3x/day for at least 5 days). We stopped the meds on day 5 because he seemed to have good gut motility.

Luna has been eating like a pig, drinking, playing, binkying, and pooping plenty—but his poops are still half their normal size and I’ve noticed some stray cecotropes that were malformed and spongy (firm, not runny). He’s not molting. I’ve started the cisapride again and added two Oxbow Digestive Support treats per day to try to get his gut flora balanced. I tried some belly rubs but he HATES me when I mess with his tummy (pees, squirms, nips, and becomes a massive brat).

Any ideas as to what else could be causing the smaller poops? Dehydration (he’s not showing other normal signs of it)? Age maybe (he’s 7)? I’m at my wits end and super worried.

• bunnylove21
        Participant
        6 posts Send Private Message

So sorry to hear that you’ve been going through so much stress – can definitely relate with you! In my experience, gut stasis is very characteristic as the bun just won’t eat anything at all and is very quiet. As long as they are eating – and are behaving as usual, they should be fine. Even small bouts of stress can cause small poops in rabbits temporarily.

I would keep an eye out and encourage as much hay and veg as you can and also keep on top of brushing – to ensure that no fur is building up in the gut.

Of course, keep in touch with your vet if you are worried in any way!

• pinkiemarie
          Participant
          414 posts Send Private Message

Is he by chance molting? Sometimes we get small poos during a molt but thankfully it keeps moving and they keep eating.

• Kimber
              Participant

Thanks so much for the reassurance. We’ve gone through stasis twice before (one required a trip to an ER 2 hours away on a weekend). Both times he had the characteristic signs.

If anything, he’s been even more energetic than usual and is totally ticked off that we took his pellets and regular treats. Such a spoiled little imp. 🙄 Stress may be the issue—especially if he’s picking up on mine lately. Or maybe it could be the drastic weather change we had last week.

• Kimber
                Participant

I haven’t noticed any molting, but he might be starting to from under his bottom and belly and I just have seen it yet.

• DanaNM
                8935 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, stasis can sometimes take a while to fully recover from, so it could just be that he needs a bit more recover time. Does he eat a lot of hay? Hay is really the best thing for him, so if he’s eating lots of hay I would just keep monitoring and the supportive care. You can also supplement with critical care if you feel he’s just not eating quite enough, as it also helps with hydration.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Kimber
                    Participant

He’s eating really well (hay and greens) and doesn’t seem to be having any discomfort. I’ll keep an eye on him and keep doing what I’m doing for now. I just wish his poops would get a little more normal.

• Meg
                    Participant
                    560 posts Send Private Message

I hear you, and it’s great that you’re being so vigilant.  But given that he’s acting and eating so well, I wouldn’t be too worried at this point.  Just keep an eye on him, and I’d say if tummy rubs stress him out you could skip them.  Just my two cents!  🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Stasis or not stasis? So confused!