Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A stasis help

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • olliebun
      Participant
      57 posts Send Private Message

last night I got a text from my sister saying that Bentley wasn’t eating. I told them to give 1cc of mylicon and see how it goes. my sister manage to get him to drink water through a syringe and he was willing to come down and in to his litter box to pee and some poos. he has never been a good hay eater but he has been doing better than before. he didnt want any treats or veggies last night and wasnt as active . he wasnt hunched like in a loaf position, he was mainly laying down on his stomach and feet kicked out to the side. I told them to keep him warm with a warm water bottle in a sock and to massage his tummy. it was late at night so no vet was open. this morning i was told he drank some water on his own and ate some veggies. didntt want banana but ate all the cilantro that was given. a vet appointment was schduled for later today but im worried, any advice is appreciated 

• Kiki
        Participant
        205 posts Send Private Message

He’s eating, that’s a good thing!

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like you’re doing a lot and being very attentive to everything, which is a great foundation to get through this stressful situation.

Always encouraging food intake is a plus, and him eating, as Kiki mentions, is wonderful. Perhaps you can give some more mylicon, as the splayed out posturing seems indicative of still trying to push some gas out. Mylicon (simethicone) can be given multiple times with virtually no risk — it’s extremely safe for rabbits. Tummy massages as you mentioned are good as well.

If it’s difficult to syringe feed water, you can soak the veggies extra wet so they act as hydraters instead.

Best wishes and keep us updated!!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• olliebun
            Participant

thank you wick and kiki! makes me happy he was willing to eat a bit of veggies, ill give him another dose of mylicon and do some more massages. bentley loves getting water from a syringe, not sure why but if hes willing to drink, he can have it in anyway he likes. he also didnt poop all that much last night. but he didn want to eat so im not surprised. i just hope hes feels better soon

ill make sure to keep you guys updated!

• olliebun
              Participant

update: i just got home and we have poop!! very small and weridly shaped but its poop. hes also pretty active, hes running around again and he nibbled on some hay, finished all his veggies! ill keep giving him massages and some mylicon (if he lets me) and keep an eye out for his poop

• olliebun
                Participant

update: he went back to not eating again . i gave him 1cc of the mylicon and now he hates me. everytime he sees me he runs. i tried giving massages and hes not haveing it. its sunday and no vet is open. i tried giving more mylicon after an hour but he wasnt having it and i didnt want to stress him even more. i felt his stomach and its soft but might be a bit extended im not sure

• Bam
                  16872 posts Send Private Message

Most buns hate baby gas drops. It’s not a bad thing that he runs away from you. Exercise helps the gut.

If he doesn’t want the massage it’s best to not give it. Some buns really want the massage when they have a tummy ache, even buns that wont normally let you touch their tummy. But it’s all up to the bun to decide. If his tum is causing him pain, it’s best not to touch it.

You will need to take him in as soon as the vet opens if this doesn’t let up, since it’s been going on for a couple of days now. You know to keep him warm, which is good.

In case you haven’t read this article on GI stasis, here’s the link: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

It’s a very good article with useful tips and good explanations.

• lovebunny
                    Participant
                    35 posts Send Private Message

I am sending prayers and good vibes for you and Bentley. I wish I had advice to give but I have no experience with this yet. Is there an emergency vet clinic anywhere near you? even if they don’t have a rabbit savvy vet on hand they can at the very least administer fluids and maybe be able to help.

• olliebun
                      Participant

thank you all for the vibes . im calling the vet as soon as they open tomorrow. for now im trying to keep him warm with a water bottle in a sock but its kinda hard with him running from me. if hes willing, ill massage him tum and some try to give him some water

• Bam

Does he run away from you to hide? Or does he just run away? A really sick bun tends not to run, they hop off to hide or just sink to the floor where you put them down. So running can be a good sign. Lethargy is what you dont want.

Lots of vibes from me as well!

• olliebun
                          Participant

thank you bam! he just runs away when I try to give him the syringe or pick him up, he doesn’t really run to find somewhere to hide exactly just to avoid me. he did just jump up to the couch just to pee so atleast hes willing to move on his own. im worried hes dehydrated and not eating, but im also scared to force feed critical care in case there is a blockage and i make it worse by forcing him to eat.

he came out from under the table and came up to the couch, peed and hopped to his bed in the living room

• olliebun
                            Participant

update: hes starting to eat again!!! it was so random. i went to check on him as he was behind the couch and he came up to me and looked more perked up so i offered some parsley and he ate it!! i went ahead and washed some greens and left it soaking with water and hes munching away.

i think i will lower the amount of pellets and no treats for the next couples of days for precaution and hope for nice poops

• Bam

Oh, wow! Yay!

Jumping up on the couch to pee is a really good sign btw. A really poorly bun wouldn’t bother. It’s not uncommon for a bun that feels really out of it to just pee where he sits. Which isn’t good at all obviously.

Keep up the good work!

• lovebunny
                                Participant
                                35 posts Send Private Message

So glad to see he is feeling better and eating again. Maybe those gas drops did the trick.

• olliebun
                                  Participant

thank you all! im so happy hes back to his happy self. maybe the gas drops worked cant be 100% sure. i only gave him one dose in the early morning and he avoided me like the plague the rest of the time, so can’t be too sure about anything haha.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A stasis help