Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Staining around nose area?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Zeppelin Bunny
      Participant
      19 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone, my Holland lop seems to have a yellow/greenish staining around the outside of his nose, as he is a white rabbit so you can see it somewhat clearly. He has been eating and drinking normally and is just as active as he always has been. Is he just a messy eater or am I missing something? Advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help!

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

Staining around the mouth and nose area can occur from eating greens or some fruits, but you need to make sure that there is no discharge coming from his nose. If the staining seems to be coming from nasal discharge and not from food, you should have your vet take a look at your rabbit.

• LBJ10
          16899 posts Send Private Message

Yep, the staining could be hay dust that stuck to the moisture around his nose (bunnies do have a little bit of moisture in their nasal passages, which is normal) or it could be from veggies or other foods. As vanessa pointed out though, you want to make sure there isn’t any real discharge from the nose. No sneezing? Crusted fur under the nose or on the sides of the front legs or paws?

• StachesMommy
            Participant
            117 posts Send Private Message

My holland is white around her nose and yesterday she had that staining you are talking about. Right along the nostril area. A light greenish coloring. I didn’t see any crust or discharge so I wasn’t too alarmed and we have a wellness check set up for tomorrow anyway. She groomed herself… all along her face a couple times and this morning it was all gone. She loves to dig around her hay. She’s always using her nose and sticking her head in her hay pile throwing it around everywhere and having a blast… searching for that perfect piece of hay! Lol.

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

My Bindi gets that sometimes too. A yellowish/green colour around his nose and on the bottoms of his feet. As long as you don’t see any discharge or wetness (wetness is normal right after he’s eaten veggies, of course but not constant). Pay attention to if he’s sneezing.

• vanessa
                Participant
                2212 posts Send Private Message

Check the insides of the “ankles”. If he has nasal discharge, he’ll likely be wiping it from his face and his feet will have a similar stain.

• StachesMommy
                  Participant
                  117 posts Send Private Message

Hey Zeppelin, I know this post is a couple weeks old and I am sure you’ve already figured out what was causing the green coloring around your bunny’s nose but I just wanted to let you know that my bunny did go to the vet (has that same green all along her nostrils) and she said most likely it is from her hay. She didn’t see any discharge along the insides of her paws and her nose was dry. No sneezing or running of any kind so the vet said it’s nothing to worry about most likely hay dust. Everyone’s advice was spot on.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Staining around nose area?