Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR spraying urine!!! ewww!!!

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnycutie
      Participant
      549 posts Send Private Message

i have a male, one year old dutch, who, has a breeding obsession(if you know what i mean). when he gets very excited, he sprays pee all over the house, so now he has to live outside during the summer. he is also not really allowed to play in the house, even though he loves it so much. my parents do let him play in my room though. he plays alot outside on his harness and leash too. we would LOVE to have him as a house rabbit, but because of this, he cannot be. would neutering fix his hormone problems?  

• Elrohwen
        Participant
        7318 posts Send Private Message

Neutering should definitely stop the spraying problem. I would get it done as soon as possible.

• bunnycutie
          Participant

thanks!

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

It should help. He’s still young enough that neutering and the reduction of hormones may stop this behavior completely, or at the very least, lessen it.

• KytKattin
              Participant
              1195 posts Send Private Message

I third that! Get it done ASAP and he will probably be a much better rabbit! Though in the future be careful not to come home with the smell of other rabbits as that MAY cause him to spray. Every rabbit is different though. If you need a referral for a rabbit vet in your area then your local House Rabbit Society should have a list. Just go to http://www.rabbit.org and on the righthand side there is a link to both Chapters and Vets!

• bunnycutie
                Participant

how should i find a good vet?

• SirThumpsey
                  Participant
                  539 posts Send Private Message

I have a very simular problem but I believe it is because we added an unspayed female to our household and he has just been going crazy. I have also been forced to move her into “his” room since my father did not like her in the kitchen. He likes to spray all over me, it’s quite gross. So I know what you are going through. I’m getting him nuetered in the next couple weeks so I know that it will cut down on his behavior.

• bunnycutie
                    Participant

thanks for your understanding. i am looking for a local vet to neuter my rabbit-hopefully that will help!

• bunnycutie
                      Participant

of course, i love him to death-i couldn’t wish for a better pet- but, the peeings gross.

• SirThumpsey
                        Participant

My rabbit has always been a sweetheart but earlier today he jumped over me when I was laying down and sprayed urine all over me. I put him back in his cage to calm down a bit and started calling more vets.

RED FLAG: If they say nuetering a rabbit is not a normal procedure…

• bunnycutie
                          Participant

yeah. buttons had problems like that. still does. when he sees my legs he tries to hump them…i know…creepy. he never used to act like that is just when he hit about 5 months. i think its some kind of rabbit puberty thing. oh well. looks like neutering is the only answer…..

• Beka27
                            Participant
                            16016 posts Send Private Message

SirThumpsey is correct… neutering (and spaying) is a routine surgery. Some vets might try to discourage you, but I feel that only shows that they are not experienced or comfortable performing the surgery. You want a vet who knows what he/she is doing and is confident about their abilities. Do you have a vet for your bun or do you need help locating one in your area?

• bunnycutie
                              Participant

im calling different vets and i think i found one

• Furface
                                Participant
                                618 posts Send Private Message

I adopted a rescue bun who was 4 to 5 years old. Within a week of his neuter, he completely stopped spraying. I’m told it can take longer than that for them to complletely stop.
                                  If the vet tells you not to feed or water the rabbit before surgery – find a different vet.

• bunnycutie
                                  Participant

ok thanks

• bunnycutie
                                    Participant

• katie, max & penny
                                      Participant
                                      956 posts Send Private Message

rabbit.org has a database of vets if you’re having a hard time finding one!

my max sprayed a LOT until I got him neutered. He’s a year old, like your dutch, and the surgery totally changed it.

• bunnycutie
                                        Participant

thanks!

• BinkyBunny
                                          8776 posts Send Private Message

Keep us updated. At rabbit.org, they also have a great section about vets (as katie mentioned), along with screening questions, pre- post surgery advice,etc. http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

• Isabelle88
                                            Participant
                                            34 posts Send Private Message

my pain in the butt male rabbit, he’s 5 months old sprayed me today…in the face, i am ticked off at him to say the least. i wanted to get my girls done first but i think im moving him up on the list to get fixed. i am gonna be so broke when this is over.

my rabbits, 7 of them, live in the same room, a fairly large room each in their own cage, could being around other males be setting him off? Phoebo is pretty good around the others but I think his bigger brother and him are in a alpha contest, there is also one female, also 5 months in the room, my other girl lives in my room, he’s never shown interest in her but maybe soemthing i dont see can set him off too?

• KytKattin
                                              Participant

Isabelle, your rabbits are probably going into puberty right now. There is a large chance all of them will start exhibiting some behavior your not going to like. I do think that getting him neutered first may actually be a good idea though as neuters are a less expensive, less invasive surgery and having him done may make you more confident when you get your girls done.

• Isabelle88
                                                Participant
                                                34 posts Send Private Message

I am going to call a list of vets on Monday and I will ask, the vet we take Dude to was charging the same for both girls and boys

thankfully only Phoebo is doing this, his brother Twiggy is the same age and hes a sweetheart but when he is taken out he poops everywhere, I hate that, the only 2 that are the same age, Julie and Shadow dont have any trouble now being sexually active, Julie is kinda of chunky and a scardy cat and she wasnt before but Shadow is completely the same as he was when he was a baby.

Spot, Briskey and Bugs are the youngest by a month and a half and so far still doing great, no aggression or spraying

• KytKattin
                                                  Participant

Well, they do all hit puberty at slightly different ages. Just like people! So like instead of 11-16 years for most girls, it could be 4-8 months for a rabbit. Though it it also true that some rabbits will never display any unwanted behaviors if left unaltered.

Spay and neuter the same price? That is odd. A neuter is a much easier, less invasive process. I will be surprised if you can’t find someplace cheaper (and maybe better, since that does kind of raise a red flag for me personally…). And don’t forget to contact a rescue and see who does it for them! Maybe once you find a good vet you could also work out a discount due to the large amount you are going to have done.

• SirThumpsey
                                                    Participant

Sir Thumps a lot did that to me last night.  [Edit: sprayed me in the face]

He never started spraying until I brought Bunnie into the mix. It could have been his age but I’m pretty sure it has something to do with a Pretty and Fertile female rabbit.

He has his appointment to get fixed on Wednesday. I can’t wait. Once he did that I promised myself that I’m going to try to get it done this week.

Moving him up will probably help a lot.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR spraying urine!!! ewww!!!