Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Splitting up juvenile boys until neutering and bonding??

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • x_toffee&ginger_x
      Participant
      64 posts Send Private Message

Sorry if this doesn’t fit in the forum! Hi so as a new bunny owner I’m new to the situation. Today did to a previous post about honking I was informed I was to seperate them immediately due to excessive humping as well as the honking. I have done this tonight and will continue to do so until they have been neutered and healed so I can start the bonding process as they only have a “baby bond” after growing up together from being able 6/8 weeks. Due to this though I was wondering if it was possible to have them play out and have floor time at the same time under my supervision? Or is it best I keep them completely seperate until I bond them? My only issue with keeping them completely seprate is reducing the amount of floor time that they used to have by cutting it in half. As of right now they are in cages close to one another so that they can still smell and see each other and this will continue ones the boys are neutered. Any advice would be a huge help as I have really struggled separating them as they were very close and loved each other’s company other than the humping situation.

• Bam
        16872 posts Send Private Message

This fits perfectly in the forum.

I would not let them have floor time together. This is due to negative personal experience I have with two male buns. When rage struck, it struck like lightning. The boys smacked together and rolled around on the floor like a squaking and hissing thunderball of fluff. One of the buns ended up with a bit-through upper eyelid. I still have a scar on my left hand from when I separated the two raging beast. (The biting bun didn’t mean to bite me of course, he was going for his adversary).

Cutting their floor time in half isn’t fun of course, but in my opinion, it’s a reasonable sacrifice considering it’s done to optimize their chances of a long good life as BFFs.

• x_toffee&ginger_x
          Participant

Thankyou so much for your response. I definitely don’t want to risk them hurting or injuring each other! From what I’ve heard fights are awful. There has never been any agression between them but I know how quickly it can happen so I will stick to the floor time being halved. It won’t be for too long they get neutered in March and then after they have healed I’ll be sure to get the bonding process started so they can live and play together again. Just out of curiosity how long does the average bonding take? They have had their baby bond but I’ve read that’s completely different

• x_toffee&ginger_x
            Participant

Thankyou so much for your response. I definitely don’t want to risk them hurting or injuring each other! From what I’ve heard fights are awful. There has never been any agression between them but I know how quickly it can happen so I will stick to the floor time being halved. It won’t be for too long they get neutered in March and then after they have healed I’ll be sure to get the bonding process started so they can live and play together again. Just out of curiosity how long does the average bonding take? They have had their baby bond but I’ve read that’s completely different

• Bam
              16872 posts Send Private Message

Bonding times can vary greatly! there are instant bonds, there are bonds that take months to fiorm. Them having known each other as babies will help though.

A couple of weeks post neuter you can start switching toys and then litterboxes between them. You can rub toys or a blanket against the fur on one bun and give the toy or blanket to the other bun. This will make them get used to having the other bun’s scent on them.

You can start a bonding-journal here in the bonding section if you like, so people can try to help you interpret their reactions.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Splitting up juvenile boys until neutering and bonding??