Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Spaying and Neutering in MA

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Yali
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Hey bunnyfans, its Yali again. I was wondering how much it cost to spay and neuter rabbits in MA/New england. My friend is trying to insist on buying pet-store rabbits just because they’re $40, and that we can spay them at a vet, but isnt spaying prices a few hundred dollars? I was looking at the Vet in billerica, but i couldent get an exact quote from them without having to first go for a ‘checkup’.

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

Hi Yali, I dropped you a message with my friend at house rabbit network’s email address, she may be able to tell you how much spays are in your area. But generally $100 to $300 is a ballpark, unless you find a low-cost neuter clinic. Keep in mind that it is VERY important to have spay / neuter done by a vet that is knowledgeable about rabbits and has done many successful spay / neuters.

Adopting is MUCH less expensive than buying and then spaying / neutering. For $115 you can adopt a pair of bonded spayed / neutered rabbits, vs buying two rabbits at $40, plus say $150 to spay each. More important though, is with adopting you’re saving a life. And if your friend is worried because she wants young bunnies – rescues always have young buns too.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

I am getting a female spayed next week and it is about $265, rescues are generally able to get their bunnies spayed and neutered for a more inexpensive rate because they are non-profit organizations.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: Pet stores ROUTINELY lie about rabbits gender – unless you are able to determine the gender of bunnies on your own do NOT trust them if they say you are getting two girls or two boys. If you do get a pair that they “swear” are two girls or boys, if they are not, your female bun can be pregnant by the time she is 12 weeks old, which could be before you even get them to a vet for proper gender determination, please, as a member of a rescue group do NOT let this happen, there are way too many un-homed bunnies already. I cannot tell you how many babies we have because people got two bunnies from the pet store and the pet store “swore” they were two girls, and that they knew all about sexing bunnies, then TADA three weeks later there were buns galore.

Also, is you get two from a pet store, they are very likely to get sick as these babies have been taken away from their parents too young, and that will cost more $$.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Yali!!

I also have to add even more wonderful benefits of adopting. Some shelters adopt out a bonded pair as one (one bunny price). Also, the fact they are already bonded is a big plus. Even baby bunnies that are raised together may fight when they reach sexual maturity because their hormones are driving them to become territorial.
              Most rescues have their bunnies already spayed, so you really save $$.

And not only are you saving the life of the bunnies that you adopt, but you’ve also opened up a space for another bunny to be saved.   And since rabbits are the third most euthanized pet in U.S., it’s a wonderful gift to go this route.

Also baby bunnies full personalities don’t come out until they are older. If you have certain characteristics that you would like to be matched with, you have a better chance getting a good fit at a rescue because many know their bunnies very well. I know at SaveABunny, they have personality cards which helps describe each bunny’ s likes and dislikes and basic disposition. Some hate to be held, while others are lap bunnies.

Many people assume that when they get a baby bunny, they can mold it to be what they want. Like if they hold it all the time, it will enjoy being held. Most likely they will tolerate it, but even a bunny that has been held all the time may end up never choosing to come on your lap. Or some bunnies are skittish, while others are easy-going. And depending on what’s going on in your household it really makes a difference what kind of personality you bring into your home. So that’s just another reason to go to rescue and look for the right match.

IF you still decide you want to have a baby bunny, many rescues have those too. Just note that if you choose a baby, though they are cute, they are also messy, and until they are neutered, they may get really stinky and messy around 3 months when they reach that sexual maturity stage. Also, you may have to go through a bonding process.

So not to scare you from baby bunnies as there are benefits of watching them grow and plus the fact they are just so cute, but I also want to let you know of the down sides, because many shelters are filled to brim because of those "downsides". 

Well, if you friend still decides the pet store is best, keep us updated so we can help you with any challenges that may come your way.

• Yali
              Participant
              5 posts Send Private Message

Thanks! Ill send this information to my friend so she can try and understand. I definitely would love to adopt instead of buy pet rabbits, so i was thinking of maybe looking at petfinder.com to find a pair in our area.

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Petfinder is a great way to go about it. Maybe once your friend actually sees some sweet fuzzy faces, s/he will be even more open to it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Spaying and Neutering in MA