Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Spaying and Neutering a rabbit

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa_43
      Participant
      1499 posts Send Private Message

Should it be 5 months for males and 6 months for females?

Should I ask if they use sofluorene as the anaesthetic and insist on pain medication if so what medication is safe?

I looked on a web site and they say that the rabbit could refuse to eat when they are in pain and not eating can cause the GI tract to shut down.

Should I ask for dissolvable stiches?

Anything else I should ask or do?

Trying to be prepared as Ebony is first off in Feb.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Here is a good article on anaesthesia:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/anesthesia.shtml

Astrid is on another list I am on and she recommends a strong sedative cocktail with and a low percentage of isofluorone for abdominal surgeries.  Obviously I am not a vet but that is what I am understanding she recommends. Also from my understanding sevo is good for quick inductions and recovery.  So obviously it depends on the situation and I believe you should discuss this with the vet as aneshtesia is a very precise thing and the vet is the best bet to discuss this with since they know what they are doing.

The males you can get neutered when their testicles drop usually around 3 1/4 to 4 months which I would do right away.  I would wait for the Marley to be at least 6 months old.

• Sarita
          Participant

The females will greatly benefit from metacam the first few days after surgery – it takes about 48 hours for them to even start to get back to normal. 72 hours is more the norm. I’ve rarely seen a female really recover in 24 hours – remember they have had some heavy duty pain meds going under anesthesia.

As for dissovable stitches – some vets are comfortable using them and some are not, this should be the vet’s call and I honestly would not insist upon them. One vet I used didn’t like using the dissovable stitches and my current vet always does.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

like Sarita said, i would also recommend doing the boys ASAP since there are so many of them.  you don’t want a lot of fighting i’m sure. 

• Lisa_43
              Participant

Thanks for the advice I will get Ebony done first and then the boys.

I thought because I had only two girls it would be easier to do them first, I now see the point of getting the boys done.

I will get them done at 4 months, would it be good to get them all done at once or one at a time?

• Sarita
                Participant

If you can do them all at once that would be good and then you would be done with them.

• Lisa_43
                  Participant

Yes I will get them all at once, I can then put them all back together because they still try to get to each other and it’s hard to watch.

Thanks

• Sarita
                    Participant

I helped another rescuer with a neuter of 3 male siblings and we did the neuters all at once – they were all together too and they were just fine and it was easier on all involved. I don’t think I had any problems with them – they were a little older but not very old – maybe 6 months old.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Spaying and Neutering a rabbit