Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Spaying a neurological problem bunny

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • chaoskittiez
      Participant
      15 posts Send Private Message

my mable has had two neurological episodes not related to E. C over the past year. She has a hard time balancing and hopping. She has a head wobble. My husband now calls her wobbles instead of mable. She’s no longer using the litter boxes. I’m not really sure why that is.

Her last episode was in October and the one before was in May. When I address spaying to her exotic to he’s just so un concerned. Like he doesn’t really care if she dies. Just says rabbits have a higher risk of death which anesthesia and initial recovery. But I’m also so afraid she will get cancer. His response is die now or die later… but he also suggested putting her to sleep the last time.

. I live in Pittsburgh this vet is well known and he travels. exotic vet that I really like is only doing rescue work and semi retired. I traveled to Ohio to have a spay done on a bunny at a rescue and had them look at mable. The vet sad it wouldn’t be a good idea for her to have a neuter.

tell me it’s okay. Tell me you have a female that not spayed and she’s okay. Should I seek out another vet? I’m so afraid of cancer. I’m so afraid this neurological disorder is going to get worse also.

so many questions

• Bam
        16879 posts Send Private Message

I think I’d seek another vet tbh. We will all die, but it’s generally considered better if death occurs later rather than sooner. It sounds like your vet might be a bit jaded?

Not all female rabbits get uterine cancer, but the risk is high enough that spaying is always recommended for healthy does. In your case your bun is not completely healthy, so the risk profile is different. But I think you need to discuss her case with a good vet who is actually interested.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

I agree with finding another vet!

Unspayed female buns tend to live to be 6-8, as opposed to 9-12 for spayed. There are always exceptions to things.

I’m also curious to know how EC was ruled out. There could also be issues with the inner ear causing balance issues.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Yes, tell us more about how it was determined that this isn’t EC-related. Not that neurological disorders don’t exist in rabbits. But the vast majority of the time, the neurological problem is caused by EC.

I agree you should get another opinion – one from a vet that actually cares. Whether or not she can safely be spayed is going to depend on her health condition. As the others explained, the risk profile is going to be different. And sometimes they just can’t be spayed and you just have to take the risk of her developing cancer when she gets older. Do all unspayed rabbits die an early death from cancer? No. The risk, however, is high enough that it warrants recommending they be spayed so the problem doesn’t have the opportunity to develop.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Spaying a neurological problem bunny