Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Spayed Rabbit Humping Objects

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • luna_cecelia_rc
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I adopted my rabbit, Luna, 3 years ago. She was spayed when she came to me (have seen documentation confirming it, and she had a shaved belly when I adopted her). She is the only rabbit in the house at this time. But she humps stuff a lot (her pet beds, my slipper, even if a blanket is crumpled up on the floor, she’ll hump it). She has done it before, but I feel like it has increased lately. She doesn’t hump other rabbits when I take her over to the rescue to play with other bunnies (she mostly avoids the other rabbits). I’ve asked the vet about it, and her vet didn’t think it was anything to be concerned about. But I’ve asked other rabbit owners, and they found it unusual that a spayed rabbit would be humping inanimate objects so much. I’ve checked her scent glands, and they are clean. I’ve tried washing the blankets and beds, and she still does it. I will add that she has had a polyp removed from her rectum and was humping her bed sometimes before that happened. But then the humping continued even after the polyp was removed (this was in Aug. 2020), and the humping seems to have increased lately.

Should I be concerned? Does anyone else have a spayed female that does this? She has chronic congestion (due to an oddly shaped nasal passage) but is otherwise healthy at this time. As I’ve mentioned, I asked the vet about it, and she didn’t seem concerned. Since the polyp, I check her bottom once per month, and it has looked normal since the polyp was removed. Luna goes to the vet (one found via House Rabbit Society’s list) at least every 6 months for checkups and in between if something seems wrong. Any ideas why she humps her beds, blankets, my slippers, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

-Meagan and Luna

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

It is unusual for a spayed female to be humping — it suggests there’s still something generating hormonal behavior that we would not typically expect. It could be that the spay was not successful (i.e., not everything was removed), or you may have a hermaphrodite who has female and male parts, the latter of which is causing the hormonal behavior.

Anecdotally, a rescue I volunteer for recently discovered one of the males who had been neutered actually had a 3rd testicle, which was perceived as the cause for what seemed like sporadic hormonal behavior. It was identified via CT.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8929 posts Send Private Message

I agree that is unusual, I was going to suggest the same possibilities as Wick&Fable. Do you notice any urinary symptoms?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Ellie from The Netherlands
            Participant
            2512 posts Send Private Message

I know that some other animals can start to hump objects when they have an irritation in their ano-genital area. But I’m not sure if that’s something that happens in bunnies too.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Spayed Rabbit Humping Objects