Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Spayed. Help!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLugs
      Participant
      117 posts Send Private Message

Ok, so update on little Jessica the chincilla bunny. She was spayed on Thursday. It’s now Monday. Eating and pooping has always been one of her strong points. Shes drinking too, so she seems ok. She’s dashing around her pen as today I gave her more freedom out of her cage. 4 days bed rest seems long enough? It is very difficult to look at her stomach because she doesn’t like to be flipped over unless she stretches up to get a treat. What should the wound look like now? It looks a little swollen to me but really hard to tell. I’m not sure. It’ a dark red. My instinct is that it looks totally fine, and pretty clean. But she won’t be back to the vet for around another 3 days. Was she in isolation long enough? Is it normal to look a little swollen around the incision? Should I take her back sooner? Help!

• babybunsmum
        Participant
        3896 posts Send Private Message

i’ve never seen what an incision from a spay looks like.  not sure if it’s normal to be swollen… maybe some one else knows if a bit of swelling is normal?  did your vet give any post-op instructions about how the incision should look?

when my bun had a mass removed recently i was told to check for signs of redness, swelling or discharge.  the only place there was redness was right alnog the actual incision line.  once or twice next to this line looked bright pink & i was worried, so i called the vet.  they said if she licks it there will be coloration.  so if she kept at it (the rosiness didn’t die down) then she was to come in to get a cone to prevent her from licking.  but she never needed it. 

i’ve attached a pic of her incision (the best that i had) a day after.  the incision is the darkest pink line (no stitches ever showed as they surgically glued together the skin to hid the stitches).  the white strip running along the incision was hair regrowth already.

hope some one can better answer if any swelling is normal.

112109939371.jpg

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

If there’s inflammation or discharge it is best to call your vet and discuss it with them. It can be an indication of infection or other problem.
            It’s much better to be overly cautious in these kind of situations.

I think 4 days bed rest is ok, as long as she’s not going too crazy, since you don’t want her to harm herself.

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Gravehearted – if you are unsure it would be best just to take her to the vet to have your vet or vet tech take a look at the incision – it will give you peace of mind too.

Babybunsmom – that is a sweet picture.

• BunnyLugs
              Participant
              117 posts Send Private Message

Thankyou very much for all your help and especially the photo. Jess seems absolutely fine now. Not different in personality but healthy. Wound healed from one side to the other, and looked in part larger on one side but looks good now. Still a big baldy patch though!!

• babybunsmum
                Participant
                3896 posts Send Private Message

yeah its funny how their fur grows back isn’t it?  some of baby’s hair started growing the very next day, yet the little shaved patch on her front paw for the anesthesia is still bare a month later!  glad jess is doing well

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Spayed. Help!