Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Spayed Flemish Giant Won’t Stop Peeing on Bed; When will it end??

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Violet Diana
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I’ve looked into other posts, but haven’t found the answer, perhaps there are special techniques with flems. My bun is 4 months old and spayed and continues to pee on my bed. Before spaying, it was in corners and after spaying it’s just anywhere on the bed. She uses her litter box in her play pen (which is inside my room) 98% of the time with no issues peeing outside since I got her at 8 weeks and she never pees anywhere on the ground in and outside her cage. I’ve caught her 3 out of many times maybe~ 8x (have been more attentive recently) either right before or during her peeing and said No sternly and put her in her litter box as forums suggested and timed out, but she never seems to learn.

I’m wondering how many more times does this have to happen (it’s been 2 months of this & I’m tired of washing the blanket cover) until she learns (does it come with age?) or will it just not so I should not let her on my bed at all. I only expand the space/her freedom slowly so that’s not the issue, there are no change in the environment or health. I heard the beginning is really tiring and requires a lot of care but after it’s totally worth it…how long is this “beginning”???

Thanks in advance!

• Benjamin bunny
        Participant
        1 posts Send Private Message

What I have found with my rabbit, and what I have been told, is that most rabbits, no matter how well litter trained they are, will see any soft surfaces as a litter box. My bunny is very well litter trained, never sprays, and never has accidents out side of his litterbox, except on the bed. As far as I know it is all rabbits, not just Flemish giants, and there is nothing you can do about it. We have tried putting the liter box on the bed with him and my bunny just can’t seem to get it, I feel bad, but my best suggestion is just to keep her off of your bed. However, my bun is also baby, so maybe they will out grow it? Fingers crossed. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

• kurottabun
          Participant
          908 posts Send Private Message

How long has it been since she was spayed? If it’s just recently, she may be experiencing a hormonal spike that typically lasts a couple of weeks post-spay which is causing her litter habits to be messed up.

That said, unfortunately a lot of bunnies love peeing on soft surfaces like beds and couches even after being fixed. Some say it’s because we spend a lot of time in bed, which makes the bed smell extra like us and thus our bunnies often try and mark it more than other places.

You can try putting a piece of blanket or cloth that has your bunny’s scent on the bed to make it smell less like you. Putting an extra litter box on the bed may also encourage them to go there instead. You can direct them to their litter box the moment you see their butt arch (this wouldn’t work when you’re not around though). If all else fails, the best way is to block access to the bed. It doesn’t look very nice in terms of aesthetics but it’s the most functional way since some buns just cannot stop peeing on their hooms (or their bed) despite all the efforts made.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Spayed Flemish Giant Won’t Stop Peeing on Bed; When will it end??