Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Spayed bunny acting up

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tycoch
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I will be very grateful to any helpful advice.

My bunny is approximately 6 months old, we’ve had her since about 13 weeks old and she was spayed the last week of November. I only had her spayed so I can get her a husbun. The past week or so, she has started chewing the sofa and to growl and lunge at me which is strange as she was never like this previously. I spent a long time trying to bond with her when she was young and she will happily have a good stroke but she often takes a lot of coaching to get her to come to me, she isnt the type of bunny to come and sit next to me for a pet. She is always free range around the house. I visited my local pet shop and explained this new situation, they said its her hormones settling – I’m no expert but I didn’t think that a complete personality change would happen? I then called the vet, hoping they would confirm the pet shop but the vet thinks that she is frightened and possibly in pain – again no expert but when I’m stroking her, she lays her chin on the floor and purrs away, it’s only when I stop that she growls and lunges. She’s nipped me once but I’m getting nervous of her. I’m desperately wanting to get a neutered male as soon as possible. Could this behaviour be that she is lonely? Is it normal for this hormonal behaviour? Will she settle back down? I’ve had many rabbits over the years but never experienced this. Just a note, after her spay, she didn’t begin to eat normally again for well over a week, again, not what I’ve experienced in the past. I think I’m after reassurance that she will return to my baby and also advice regarding how long to wait until I begin looking at getting her a partner.

Thank you in advance

• Bam
        16937 posts Send Private Message

This could be about her hormones settling. Some buns, more often girl buns than boy buns, need quite a bit of time before their hormones settle after they have been neutered. It can take anything from 4 weeks to a cpl of months.

Then there is “puberty” in the sense of transitioning from babyhood to adulthood. This change will take place even of the bun is spayed early.

This does sound hormonal though. It’s very much too soon to start to suspect a “botched” spay. Is she eating and drinking and pooping like she should?

Buns rather often nip or growl if you stop petting them before they’ve given you permission. I’ve had two buns that were like that. When a bun nips another bun there’s fur in between to cushion the bite, but we humans obv don’t have fur, so the nips hurt. The best move is to not reward her by resuming to pet her, bc if you do, you reinforce the behavior.

• DanaNM
          9038 posts Send Private Message

Based on the timing it does sound like it could be the “post-spay craze”! It should settle down in a few more weeks! Def keep an eye on her eating, pooping and drinking habits to make sure there isn’t something medical going on.

I would wait to start the bonding process until she is settled again.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Tycoch
            Participant
            3 posts Send Private Message

Thank you both. I feel reassured. I am sure she is not sick as she is generally relaxed and food/toilet is completely normal. I will take a chill pill and see how she is in a few more weeks and then hopefully cam then start looking for her Mr Right.

Thank you again

• LBJ10
              16977 posts Send Private Message

I agree. What you are describing sounds hormonal, rather than pain related. It has only been a few weeks since her spay, so I would give it more time. Things should settle.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Spayed bunny acting up