Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Spay =need opinion

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Binkles
      Participant
      823 posts Send Private Message

Okay, so Little-Bit is to be spayed soon by one of two vets. But I need everyone’s opinion on wich one..

Vet A:

Pros: Has some expirience in exotics, has done hundreds of successfull spays with no mortalities. (There may have been ONE…but I forget.) Vet that spayed Binkles, flawlessly, at 3 1/2 years old last year.

Cons: This was the first vet I took Little-Bit to when I noticed she had nystagmus. They gave her a quick look-over, mis-diagnosed her, and gave me medication that would have done little to no good. Thank goodness I did some more research and took her to vet B.

Vet B:

Pros: Knows Little-Bit’s medical history and has watched her come along. Through my guidence and their knowlege of basic veterinary medicine, they’ve administered the right medications and baby Bit is fine now. They care a lot for her.

Cons: Has little expirience in exotics. Though they have spayed bunnies before, they haven’t done very many. I don’t beleive there have been any mortalities.

So ah…what’cha think, guys? The reputible vet that is expirienced and spayed Binkles perfectly but mis-diagnosed Little-Bit’s illness, or the vet that is inexperienced but healed her under my suggestions from reading up on the net and knows her history?

• Lion_Lop_Lover
        Participant
        971 posts Send Private Message

I would use the vet who has spayed hundreds, because it’s just a spay right now – not diagnosing anything…

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I would go for Vet A – that doesn’t mean in the future you cannot use Vet B but maybe just not for the spay.

• rabbitsmba
            Participant
            475 posts Send Private Message

Vet A – go for experience. Just because you use vet A for the spay doesn’t mean you need to use them for everything else. I have two vets I use for different reasons – one is way more experienced with dental issues than the other (although they are catching up!) so that is where I go for dental issues.

• JK
              Participant
              2223 posts Send Private Message

What concerns me is that neither vet is totally experienced in exotics.  Can you seek one out what that specializes in exotics?

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

i’m leaning towards vet A. vet B needs to do more spays to become familiar with the whole process, but i don’t want your baby to be the “guinea pig” they practice on. are there other more rabbit savvy vets in your area? even if you don’t use them for the spay, it helps to know your options. a big factor is trust. do you trust both of these vets?

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

Just another wrench…I agree w/ Beka about the trust issue, which makes me wonder what your gut says?

I had to go to a less experienced vet, at my regular practicie, w/ my cat on a Sunday.  After hundreds of dollars of diagnostics, she told me he had cancer and that it had metastisized to his lungs.  She showed us the mestatisis on the x-rays.  Told us it would be weeks b/f he’d be gone.  We were heartbroken when we left, but I felt like I needed a second opinion.  I made an appt w/ our regular vet @ that same practice the next day.  He completely ruled out cancer.  Turned out he has severe allergies & developed asthma.   We won’t see that inexperienced vet, no matter what.  Now I request only my regular guy or a similar vet in the practice.  I won’t see any of the other vets in the practice.  My husband won’t even look at her or acknowledge her when she’s in.

Back in Chgo, I went to an excellent all cat practice.  It was more pricey and not the best location, but had some of the best feline only vets.  We had adopted a new cat and brought her in.  Katie had severe diarhea and occasional vaginal bleeding.  She saw the male vet pretty regularly.  He did every float/blood test.  Katie had been put on every speciality diet and med, but nothing was working.  More than once we asked if she had pyometra b/c of the vaginal bleeding.  He told us repeatedly we were wrong.  She was too under weight & sickly to be spayed so that wasn’t an option.  This went on for nearly 2 months.  We found her one morning covered in blood & feces and near death.  We rushed her to our practice and the female vet treated her.  It was pyometra.  She had become septic and almost died.  The infection had spread into her abdominal cavity and she ended up w/ a spay and partial gastric bypass.  She was so damaged that they had difficulty sewing up the pieces left, it kept decaying as they tied it off.  It was a nightmare.  She was in the ER/ Critical care Center for several days and it was VERY touch & go.  She made it!  That was over 12 yrs ago and she’s the healthiest of all my cats.  We never saw that male vet again & still keep in touch w/ the female vet that saved her life!

So w/ these horrific stories, I’m not trying to scare you, but to reiterate that you need to trust yourself.  Despite the inexperience of Vet B, if you feel that’s the best person to care for your baby, then that’s who you go w/  Whereas no one wants their baby to be a guneia pig, sorry piggie people, at least vet B is being honest and receptive.  I think many people would be surprised at the true lack of experience many people docs have when they treat humans….in med school by the time they start poking and prodding people, that’s a brand new experience, they’ve only had simulations or cadaveurs b/f.  So trust may actually count for alot!  How comfortable is Vet B w/ doing this procedure?  I hope I was helpful and not more confusing for you.

• KatnipCrzy
                    Participant
                    2981 posts Send Private Message

I would trust your get feeling- if Vet A is too complacent and missed a diagnosis- what else will they miss?  Vet B does not have as much experience- but they already proved to you that does not matter.

Seriously- go with your get feeling- that is the only way you can make a decision like this.  You have to believe that you are making the right choice and not second guessing yourself.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

My vote, VEt A

• bunnytowne
                        Participant
                        7537 posts Send Private Message

hmmm. a dilema. Vet B cares about bun. Is honest with you. Listens to you and your suggestions is willing to be open and cooperative with you. That counts for a lot. And if Vet B is inside bun and something is off he would b e more llikely to acknowledge and research  it. I am not saying he would make a mistake in spaying just that if he saw something internal that was off he would see about it perhaps vet a wouldn’t.

if you want the experience go with Vet A and use Vet B for all else. If your gut and trust tell you Vet B Go with Vet B. He cares

Also all good vets had to learn and start off somewhere at sometime. If we never gave them a chance how will they get the experience.His previous spays/neuters were successful even if he hasn’t done boqudles of them.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Spay =need opinion