Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Spay Killed My 1 Year Old Lop

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Madam5
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

It’s been a week since the passing of my wonderful Madam. She now rests in a wooden urn on my dresser. She had no fear, no known health issues , and now she’s gone . I tried to do right by her by getting her spayed but she died when the vet tried to waked her up post surgery. She is like my child and I don’t know how to go on from this blow. She touched so many with her big personality. Any advice or similar stories of sudden passing would help.

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry. 🙁  It is so heartbreaking when these things happen, and impossible to predict. You did the right thing by getting her spayed, even though it might not feel like it now. Anytime a bun has to go under anesthesia can be really scary, especially the first time. I volunteer at a rescue that does hundreds of spays a year, and rarely we lose a bun and it is just devastating. I remember one in particular over the summer that was just the most lovely rabbit…

There have been a couple posts recently in the Rainbow Bridge section of buns lost during spays and neuters, so you are not alone. I’m very sorry for your loss. 🙁

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
          16871 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry for your loss. She was truly beautiful!

As Dana says, you did the right thing, which proves you are a conscientious and loving bun owner. It’s so terribly unfair that you lost her.

• Madam5
            Participant

Thank you all for your kind words. What’s most upsetting is I tried so hard to protect her.  I truly don’t believe there’s any rabbit like her out there and it’s a huge loss not having her hop around. After a week I still get depressed knowing how I did everything to give her a wonderful life. I wanted her to live 9 or more years stuffing her face constantly with hay:( I know she is in a better place and I did the right thing. But there is this hole and this ache in my heart. How am I ever going to trust myself with another small and fragile pet?

• DanaNM
              8930 posts Send Private Message

Each rabbit is so unique, it’s clear she had such a huge impact on you in the short time she was with you, and was very well loved in that time. Even though her time was short, it sounds like it was wonderful and full of love, something that sadly most bunnies out there never get to experience.

In time, you might find it comforting to make a memorial post about her, or collect some photos to make a memory book. We all hope our bunnies will live to 9 or even 15, but we never really know how long we will have with them, even with the best care. As sad as it is, I think it is part of what makes caring for a bunny so special, you know their time is fleeting even in the best cases. I lost a bunny that was very young as well (about 1 and a half), to an unknown disease that affected his teeth (his molars were basically cracking and falling out…the vets were just as shocked as I was). He was a beautiful and gentle soul, and we realized he must have been in a lot of pain in his short life. I’ve also lost bunnies that were 9 and 11, and it has been so hard with all of them. It gets better with time though. I also found some solace in fostering after I lost my 11 year old Bertha, because I knew I wouldn’t be ready to adopt again, but having new bunnies around did help. I knew I was giving them a better chance at being adopted and a break from the shelter environment, and it gave me (and Bertha’s widower) something to focus on other than her absence.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• HipHopBunny
                Participant
                640 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry!!

As said above, you were doing the right thing. Unfortunately, horrible things happen, where we most often have no one to blame, and mistakingly chose ourselves. It was most certainly not your fault! You did everything any of us here could have done and more. You sound very responsible, kind, empathetic, and a wonderful rabbit owner, any bun would have been extremely lucky to land a life with you. 🙂 I know that Madam thinks so, too. Know that when you miss her, or feel like she’s gone, that she’s with you, every moment of every day, watching over you, and guiding you through the journey you set out here to accomplish. 🙂  Madam wouldn’t want to look down and see you shattered over her loss, she wants to see the you that she knew, happy and inspiring. You will achieve great things in this world, anyone can see that. 😉

We’re always here for you!! Whether you need advice, a shoulder to cry on, or just a friend to talk to, we are always here.

Smile 🙂 Laugh 🙂 Be Happy 🙂

• Madam5
                  Participant

@DanaNM that’s so tragic I’m sorry for your loss. It seems like some bunnies just have conditions we can’t see or predict beforehand. I’m trying to look for a bunny to foster or adopt but unfortunately all I keep thinking about is how perfect Madam was. I tried looking for spayed Holland lops in my area( DC Metro) but no luck . Maybe this is a way of saying I need to not have a bunny for the time being.

@HipHopBunny

That was such a great pep talk thank you. I truly gave her the best life I could And I find comfort in that. I think the pain will lessen soon but I always will have a spot in my heart for Madam.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Spay Killed My 1 Year Old Lop