Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Spay: How much?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Vinnie D.
      Participant
      55 posts Send Private Message

I’m thinking its time I started putting together that fix the bunny fund for Nel.  The hormones are making her rather moody lately, and it’s best for her health in the long run.

But before I walk into a vet’s office I need to know how much of a finanical hurting I’m going to take, so i can prepare the money ahead of time.  I’m living in the US if that helps.  I right now only have an emergency vet lined up, though they’re strictly an ER (they’re 24 hours too)  and don’t do regular visits and such, so I do still have to find a regular vet who knows rabbits well.

If anyone has an idea of the price range I could use some help.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

It all depends on where you live. Do you have a rabbit rescue group in your area? I would contact them as I would imagine they have done surveys of rabbit knowledgeable vets in their areas and the price for spays.

The vet we use for the rabbit rescue that I am a board member for is $125.00 and that is on the cheap side and it can go up to $300 or more based on the surveys I’ve done.

• Floppy
          Participant
          490 posts Send Private Message

It really does depend on where you live and if you can easily find

a low cost spay/neuter clinic. I was lucky enough to have a member

on this site recommend a place for me to go.  I was able to have

my male bunny fixed for 40.00 and he is actually there waiting to be

neutered right now… >_< But before I found out about this place....I

was told by the vet I took him to for his check up that it would cost

$300.00 and then I found out that my local Humane Society does it

for $100.00 It’s usually a little more expensive for females to be

spayed because the procedure is more intrusive. Good Luck on your

search for a low cost place! You would think that there would be more

low cost alternatives seeing how its best for animals to be fixed!

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

That’s a site that may help you find out more about looking for a rabbit

savvy vet! Good Luck!

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

spays are usually more than neuters. Clinics can be very reasonable, you might check with a rescue in your area to see if there are any lower cost options available to you. I’ve heard of spays running anywhere from $100 to $350. Floppy posted the same link I would have about how to find a good vet.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
              Participant
              2517 posts Send Private Message

Where do you live, Vinnie?

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

I always recommend to anyone w/ pets….

Develop a RELATIONSHIP w/ your vet as soon as possible.  My ex was a vet nurse.  I learned the value of a vet relationship while we were together.  When you have that relationship set up, vets are often more available.  By that I mean, the response on the phone isn’t always "bring them in".  When they know your pet, they can give some great pet advice on the phone (when appropriate).  Also, when vets know your financial situation sometimes they will cut you a break.

One of the vets my ex worked for in Chgo, agreed to care for someone’s hamster for all the money the client had…$10!  I kid you not w/ this story.  Granted Dr. Kaz didn’t think that the seizing hamster would last long, but agreed to provide the best care for him.  The owner visited the hamster everyday.  This hamster lived for 2 weeks.  The vet care, meds, etc. would have easily cost hundreds of bucks…but Dr. Kaz was that kind of guy….$10.  I love that story.

My current vet charges about $150 for a spay.  She frequently cuts me financial breaks since I have so many fur beasties.  I frequently try to take most of my guys in at the same time so I don’t have to make many trips to the vet.  She’ll usually block a time for me and let me bring everyone in at that time and then charge me only 1-2 visits, instead of 4-5. 

• poopy
                  Participant
                  684 posts Send Private Message

really, spays and neuters are priceless, worth 10x the cost!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Spay: How much?