Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE spay and neuter

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bambii
      Participant
      93 posts Send Private Message

so a vet in town (great rabbit savy vet) is retiring and is doing a special of 50 dollar spay and neuter for rabbits (great deal for me i can get 3 rabbits spayed which saves me a ton price with my vet is 285) but the mom is still nursing the kits do have their eyes open now but I was wondering if it is safe for her?

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

I don’t see how it could be safe for a nursing rabbit to have abdominal surgery, or any surgery for that matter. Even with meds, the rabbit will be in some pain, she should have peace and quiet, and she shouldn’t have any babies crawling around and over her incision site. You also would not want the babies to be exposed to the drugs in her system as they nurse. The mother cannot be spayed until all the babies have been weaned and have been separated from her.

• Emmsy
          Participant
          31 posts Send Private Message

That would be way too soon D: I think they recommend to wait until they are 6 months old.

• Mikey
            Participant
            3186 posts Send Private Message

You should not get the mother spayed at all until the babies are completely weaned from their mother. You also cant spay/neuter the babies until they are around six months.

• Bambii
              Participant

no not the babies only the mother. I held off for now the vet said since the babies eyes are open and they are pass critical point that they would be okay but I just held off for now

• Mikey
                Participant
                3186 posts Send Private Message

No, youll have to wait until mom is completely done nursing before you can get her spayed

• Bambii
                  Participant

I think i let my vet talk me into a horrible decision and now im sitting here crying and feeling horrible. Sorry venting…. but i ended up getting my blakey girl spayed. I feel horrible because the vet refuses to give her meds. Even tho she is eating and drinking fine and her poop is normal. The vet told me to hold blake while the kits nurse one at a time for the next couple days while it heals. I feel so horrible as a rabbit mommy

• Bam
                    16877 posts Send Private Message

It’s GREAT that she’s eating and drinking fine and her poop is normal. I guess they won’t give her meds because it could pass over into the milk. A bunny in severe pain won’t eat and drink and poop normally. Don’t feel horrible. We have to trust our vets, they are the ones with the expertise.

• jerseygirl
                      22345 posts Send Private Message

With letting them feed, if they feed individually, don’t let them go for too long or the last kit may not get enough milk. You’ve probably seen by now how long she normally lets them feed for. It is supposed to be pretty quick.

I hope she continues to recover well. Sending many {{{vibes}}} for Blake.

p.s. Keep an eye on her temperature. If her ears seem colder then they normally are for her, wrap her up and get her warm. Ideally, take her rectal temperature if you have an appropriate thermometer. If she falls under 100F, get her warmed and back to the vet.

• Bambii
                        Participant

Thank god! She is still eating and pooping and showing no signs of wanting to bother her incesion sight. I let the babies feed one by one and they just hopped off on their own. But i timed it for like 3 mins each. I literally slept with blake all last night (crazy bunny mama) and what made it better my toodler even slept with us and was very gentle with blake. I forgot to put the litter box back after cleaning her cage

• Bam
                          16877 posts Send Private Message

So good to hear! (((((Blakey)))))

• Bambii
                            Participant

right but now I am at work stressing if she is messing with her site

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE spay and neuter