Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Sore on Bennett’s nostril

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Adrienne
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I discovered this sore on Bennett’s nostril tonight and I was wondering if anyone might know what it could be? If it’s fungal, perhaps I can treat at home? Is polysporin an option to try, as it’s triple antibiotic? Being so close to his mouth, is that advised? Any advice is appreciated!

• Bam
        16838 posts Send Private Message

You can use plain (without an added painkiller) neosporin or triple antibiotics cream on rabbits, but it wouldnt be much use if he can lick or groom it off immediately. The same would go for any topical antifungal. If it’s an uncomplicated sore, it should heal without intervention.

How big is the sore? Does he live with other rabbits? Are any other areas of his body affected? (Eyes, chin, downstairs region).

• Wick & Fable
          5771 posts Send Private Message

Unfortunately, your image is not showing up for me — however, in general, it is highly recommended NOT to try and self-medicate at home, especially when you have no idea of the cause of the sore. I would take your rabbit to be assessed by a rabbit-savvy vet, as there are many causes for sores.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Adrienne
              Participant

Hi! I’ve resubmitted the image to be posted… hopefully it will work this time! (I’m new to this forum so still trying to figure it out!)

The sore is on his nostril and down one side of the part leading to his lip. There aren’t any other regions affected, that I can see. His appetite and behaviour has remained unchanged.

I’ve made an appointment at the vet, but the earliest they can see him is next Monday at 11am… I’m looking to find another exotic vet to see him sooner, if possible. But in the meantime, I was hoping to apply some ointment to see if it will clear up on its own.

His girlfriend bunny isn’t exhibiting any issues at all, so hopefully it isn’t contagious! I’ve had them both for about a year and a half and they haven’t been introduced to any new animals at all…. So I’m a little perplexed!

• Adrienne
              Participant

Not sure why the image didn’t show up! Let’s try again!

• Bam
                16838 posts Send Private Message

This does look like sth you shouldnt try to treat yourself. Any idea how he could have got it? Fight with another rabbit, injury from running into sth at full speed, a fall, things like that?

When rabbits get “inexplicable” sores around their nostrils/mouth area, treponematosis aka rabbit syphilis is always a suspect. (It is not the same as human syphilis). It needs to be treated with penicillin injections.

• Adrienne
                    Participant

Yes, I read about rabbit syphilis but wasn’t sure if a bunny can just suddenly start to develop symptoms of this at 3 years of age?

I’ve made a vet appointment to have it seen….

• DanaNM
                    8901 posts Send Private Message

Agree with others that this warrants a trip to the vet. Syphilis was my first thought as well.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Sore on Bennett’s nostril