Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sore hocks? Or “bald” hocks?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kennedy
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi all,

My rex-mix Flora keeps having issues with her feet, and I’m wondering if there are any good home remedies that you think might help? She’s going to the vet soon anyway, so I’m not *too* worried, but definitely a little anxious. She’s hopping around like normal and doesn’t seem to be in pain. She has soft flooring, she’s <g class="gr_ gr_502 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="502" data-gr-id="502">free</g> roam, and has a regularly cleaned litter box, I'm not sure what else to do for her! But she regularly develops some bald spots on her feet. I'm wondering if her feet look bad enough to warrant an emergency vet visit? Or if it's okay to wait the two weeks until <g class="gr_ gr_806 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="806" data-gr-id="806">her</g> check up? Also, I'm wondering if the spots look like sores? Or just bald spots/calluses?</p>

Flora’s feet

• Hazel Zhe Bunny
        Participant
        2 posts Send Private Message

I’ve really never heard something like that I might search it up sooner or later but hope the vet can find out

• Azerane
          4688 posts Send Private Message

Hello

They do look quite sore, especially the one in the image at the top because it’s more red and irritated. The other one which is more lighter pink is more of a natural skin colour and is likely less irritated and raw. I would be inclined to make a vet visit sooner rather than later, but if you do wait out the two weeks, I would be making some changes to her cage/living areas to make it easier on her feet and to try and prevent the spread.

There are some common creams you can use on sore hocks, one is Bag Balm, I forget which others are appropriate off the top of my head. Make as many areas in the cage as soft as possible (folded over fleece blankets, vet bed etc). Keep the cage as clean as possible (really keep up with litter tray cleaning, wet areas will only cause further issues). It may also be worth trimming her nails as when nails get too long they can cause more pressure to be applied to the back of the hock.

• LittlePuffyTail
            18092 posts Send Private Message

Vet visit is def a good idea. Try some good quality memory foam bath mats in her area. They did wonders for my bun’s sore hocks. Of course, as with adding anything watch for chewing of the material.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sore hocks? Or “bald” hocks?