Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sore Hocks or not?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunBun260
      Participant
      132 posts Send Private Message
        Hello, so I have had a rabbit before, lived its full life and never had any problems with her. I recently got a new rabbit, and he is a Rex. I heard they are more prone to getting sore hocks, so I check about once or twice a day, to make sure everything is alright. His cage is has a fleece blanked, with grass mats as well. He really isn’t in his cage that much though, as I let him roam around a lot outside the cage. He also has a cage extension, so he has enough room when he is in his cage. I noticed today he has flakes on one of his foot.

My question is: Is this sore hocks? I was thinking of taking him to the vet, but do not want to freak out over nothing either (Even though I’m pretty sure this is it) Like I said, I check every day, and today I noticed it was a bit more red, with these flakes.

If someone could help me, or just give me a second opinion that would be great! Thanks!

• Serenity
        Participant
        173 posts Send Private Message

Hey there! I had 2 rexes and the smaller one did have hocks like that most of the time I had him. They never ever seemed to bother him but they were more prone to getting hurt so I was careful whenever I let him outside to keep an eye on them and make sure the spots didn’t get torn or irritated. I took him to the vet, the vet said it was fine. As long as the spots don’t spread and don’t seem to be bothering him he should be perfectly alright.

• BunBun260
          Participant
          132 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so much for replying. They honestly don’t seem to bother him, he still is running around and hopping. I’ll keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn’t get worse. Thanks again.

• LittlePuffyTail
            18092 posts Send Private Message

They look a bit red but not inflammed. I would do as you are doing, just keep a close eye. Memory Foam Bath Mats (if your bun is not a big chewer) are great. I have had great success with the high quality ones from Bed Bath & Beyond. A little pricey but cheaper than a vet visit.

Also, make sure his nails are always kept short.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sore Hocks or not?