Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Sore Hocks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • sesabean
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys

I’ve posted about this before but they dont look like they’re getting any better. Sesame is a mini rex. Ever since he’s gotten them (3 months ago?!) they’ve always been cracked… it doesn’t really bother him but today they bl3d again and it seems to bother me more than him but it still has to be somewhat pa1nful for him so if there’s anyway you guys could help it’d be really appreciated!! why doesn’t the hocks seem to ever be healing over? any creams that could do?  he would definitely not like the bandaging..

Context – we have a carpet where they play on and a fleece blanket in there cage but we do have wooden floorboards. tried sudocrem today but he licked it all off (is this ok?) ahh not sure what to do.. as much i would like to just keep him on the carpet its not that big – around 2m long and 170cm wide?)

any replies are appreciated

• Bam
        16878 posts Send Private Message

Sudocreme would be harmless to ingest in the quantities we’re talking about here. It won’t of course do any good though, since he licks it off.

Is the carpet soft? You can test it with your elbows. If its abrasive on your elbows when you put some pressure on and move them across the carpet a little bit, its probably too abrasive for hocks that are “naked” (i e without fur).

I used manuka honey on my bun’s sore hocks, but it can only be used inside a wrap or the bun will immediately lick it off. Manuka honey is very tasty, just like any honey.

• LBJ10
          16908 posts Send Private Message

It does look a bit angry. Sudocreme isn’t going to hurt anything if he licks it off… but yes, that does essentially defeat the purpose. You could try making him some socks to cover his hocks. Then you could apply ointment. Even if it just stays on for a little while, it will be beneficial.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
            Participant
            300 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies have never had sore hocks so I don’t know much on how to treat them, but maybe look up on youtube… I think 101rabbbits made a video on it, sorry if I am wrong.

• Bam
              16878 posts Send Private Message

When my bun had sore hocks, I wrapped them as described in the linked article 👇. I put some of his own fur inside them. I had to make very sure that all of the fur I used as lining inside the wrap was hid under the bandage, or he’d pull it out more or less right away.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sorehocks.html

• MooseMouse
                Participant
                49 posts Send Private Message

Hey I actually posted this in another thread but you could give hock socks a shot and they keep your little one from licking off the cream.

If you search OneTwoHop on Etsy you can find some there. I will also put a link below. Maybe this will help!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/onetwohop

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Sore Hocks!