Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.Ā  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.Ā  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best.Ā 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time.Ā 

BUNNY 911 –Ā If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?Ā  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules.Ā 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Ā Don’t have a vet? Check outĀ VET RESOURCESĀ 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited.Ā The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.Ā  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE sore hock or callus?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • koj
      Participant
      39 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I was wondering if this small spot is the beginning of a sore hock šŸ™ i feel horrible because i think it was because i pushed off her nail trim, thinking that every 2 months was okay.

Iā€™ll have to go back to monthly vet trips now šŸ˜„ is there anything i can do for her foot? itā€™s only on one foot so far. iā€™m not sure if it warrants a vet visit; if it does, please let me know! sheā€™s been eating and moving normal but iā€™ve just noticed it.

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

From the photos, this looks like a callus. It isn’t uncommon for rabbits to develop calluses. Nails can be a contributing factor, but the biggest culprit is flooring. The best way to tell if flooring is soft enough is to do the elbow test. Rub your elbow on it. If it feels like you’re going to get a rug burn, then it may be too abrasive for bunny.

• Bam
          16878 posts Send Private Message

It’s a bit difficult to see on the picture, but if the skin is intact, it’s not sore hocks. But as you’re saying, it could develop into a sore hock, so it’s good you caught it!

If the skin is intact, you dont need to put anything on it, creams often makes it “worse” because you always get some cream on the surrounding fur, and sticky fur is less protective than fluffy fur.

How often a bun needs its nails cut varies a lot. Some buns have softer nails and softer nails obv wearĀ  quicker than hard nails. Activity level plays a big role of course as do the types of surfaces your bun moves around on. Some rugs and carpets are more abrasive than we perhaps think, what feels soft to human feet might still be abrasive to bunny feet. I test rugs with my elbows! I had a wool rug that didnt pass the elbow test, so I covered with a fleece blanket bc it was in a spot where my bun loved to run around.

How prone a bun is to getting callused heels also varies a lot. Fur quality is a big factor. Rex rabbits practically always get callused heels. Very long haired buns can have very soft guard hairs with little to no undercoat, and that makes themĀ  prone to getting calluses. Overweight buns are more prone and so are rabbits that spend a lot of time in a small area or sick rabbits that mostly sit still. Those rabbits can benefit greatly from a memory foam mat in their enclosure or preferred spot -but you can’t of course cover big areas with memory foam.

It seems a variety of surfaces is the best thing, since surfaces can actually be too soft for rabbit feet as well.

(If the skin on the spot in your pictures is not intact, i e if the skin is torn or scaly, if there’s wetness/ seepage or even blood, this is actually a sore hock, and that is sth that a vet should have a look at before you do much with it yourself).

• koj
              Participant
              39 posts Send Private Message

Thank you both for your responses! I will definitely be doing the test and trying to soften her surfaces… Thank you guys again

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE sore hock or callus?