Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Something bad happened today.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    • Alisha
      Participant
      202 posts Send Private Message

I finally got Luna in for her spay. You can already probably guess where this is going but don’t worry – the worst hasn’t happened. At least not yet. 

I did thorough research on where I should take her. Apparently there is only ONE clinic in Utah specializing in exotic animals. Anywhere else would have been a much bigger risk. This place knew what they were doing so I decided to pay top dollar for my rabbit’s spay because she is literally my best friend. She’s my emotional support animal and we’re very close. I only want the best for her. She started having some hormonal issues and even a pseudo pregnancy that was causing her some problems. I didn’t even realize but apparently she had a ton of milk build up because of that false pregnancy so that added to the problem.

She is a mini rex mix. A smaller breed and she is just a tiny thing. Two weeks ago, the vet told me she was really healthy and a great weight. Apparently that was wrong. I’ll explain that in a second.

I drove an hour to the place and reluctantly dropped her off. I waited around this area so I didn’t have to drive back and forth so much. I sat in my car for hours, walked around a couple of stores. Ate some lunch. etc. I dropped her off at 9 AM and it was almost 4 PM. I was getting worried and I tried calling the clinic and they had turned off their phones so I decided to just show up anyway. 

I go in and they tell me they shut off the phones due to them being pretty busy. I asked about Luna and she went and got the doctor. She came out and told me to go into a room with her to talk about Luna. And of course at this point, my stomach sunk. I was already anxious about anything bad happening. 

She first told me that she was okay but there were complications. Apparently, even though she doesn’t look it, Luna was overweight and had excess fat surrounding her stomach and obviously areas they needed to operate on – thus causing the procedure to become more of a challenge. Another problem was the false pregnancy and the milk build up. All these things together causing the doctor to accidentally make Luna bleed at one point pretty badly. And because of this they are monitoring her overnight and sent me home. 

I’m sick to my stomach. I’ve been crying for hours. She told me that my diet for her was perfect but sometimes rabbits are just special cases and she thinks I need to take pellets out of her diet completely because they are so calorie-dense. I’m literally only giving her 2-3 tbsp of pellets a day. Then she has hay and greens of course. 

I feel like such a bad bun mom for not knowing. It was impossible to tell she had fat. You can’t tell on the outside and she’s such a happy energetic bun. The doctor says she is at high risk for bladder sludge as well. 

I just hope I don’t wake up to bad news tomorrow and that I can go get her and take her home with me and apologize to her a million times and help her feeling better again. I miss her so much. I haven’t had a night without her in this apartment and it’s just the worst feeling. She is my world. I will update this as soon as I know more tomorrow. 

• Doodler
        Participant
        337 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry Luna had a rough spay. To be honest I find it odd that a vet hospital would turn off their phones during business hours like that. That alone would have made me upset. I hope she pulls through and you get to bring her home tomorrow!!

• Alisha
          Participant

Oh, I was super upset they turned off the phones because I was also sitting there reading all the bad reviews the place ever had and it was just adding to the anxiety. Thank you, I hope so too. She’s a strong bun.

• Doodler
            Participant

Oh I would have been a basket case. I dropped my doe off at 8am for her spay and got a call at around 10:30am to let me know how it went. When I had my buck done he was neutered in the afternoon but I was told it wasn’t going to be done until the afternoon. I still got a call around 2. I couldn’t imagine sitting there imagining the worst.

I’m glad to hear she’s a strong bun. Healing vibes being sent her way!

• Alisha
              Participant

I hope I never have to go through this again. I just wanted a baby bun for my first bun. I want to start adopting from shelters in the future anyway where they really need homes. They tend to already be fixed. I guess I wasn’t as prepared as I thought. I studied rabbits and rabbit care for a good year and a half before getting one. I felt like I knew it all. But like I said, her diet and lifestyle is perfect and she still had problems. You can never be fully prepared I guess.

• Kiki
                Participant
                205 posts Send Private Message

I know it’s hard not to but please dont beat up on yourself. You’re doing the best you can and the best for your bun, sometimes stuff just happens.
                  Indie, kasha, and I send positive healing vibes for your Luna.

• Alisha
                  Participant

Thank you.

• FlemishDad
                    Participant
                    114 posts Send Private Message

You were feeding her a healthy diet and you took her to the best clinic in your state. You have been a great bunny mom! Please be nice to yourself.

• Bam
                      16836 posts Send Private Message

(((((Luna)))))

If the vet couldn’t see she was fat before they started the procedure, it’s not reasonable to think you could have known. I’m thinking she could have had fat deposited around her uterus. That isn’t readily visible from the outside.

When you get her home, you can start tapering down the pellets. Weight reduction should happen very slowly in rabbits. Please keep us posted. You have nothing to apologize to her about, you were doing everything right.

• Alisha
                        Participant

I feel like I have to apologize that I put her through this. I really should have gotten her fixed around 6 months instead of a year old. She most likely wouldn’t have had the fat or the false pregnancy. I just really couldn’t afford it at the time. I live completely on my own and pay rent and bills on my own. I also feel bad we have to go against nature and get them fixed anyway. I’m just sorry she had this experience. I’m still waiting for a call from the vet to hear if she’s okay/I can take her home.

• Dface
                          Participant
                          1084 posts Send Private Message

I will never forget the day i sent my girl in for a spay and my boy in to have his teeth removed. They accidentally cut him open to perform the female neuter on him. I was physically ill over it. I cried when I picked him up and spent the rest of his life trying to make up for it by giving him everything he wanted.

It took me a very very long time to forgive myself for that.

Please know its not your fault. Thats 100% on the vet. Ive known chubby females who have been successfully neutered with no complications, so that isn’t on you its on the vet completely.

Additionally you cant conjure up money that isnt there, and waiting until you had the finances was the right option but you couldnt have predicted any of these things, ie the false pregnancy and the hidden fat . Getting her neutered was the best call for her health long term.

Hoping you hear from them soon and that poor Luna is doing well!

• Doodler
                            Participant

Please don’t feel bad. There are plenty of does that have been spayed even older. There is no way to predict what kind of things might come up even in a 6 month old. You did the best you could and clearly got her spayed because you care about her. It’s not our fault that nature can be cruel if this isn’t done! I hope you hear good news soon!!

• Alisha
                              Participant

The vet was very nice but I feel like she may have made a mistake and tried to come up with reasons why the mistake was made? (the fat, etc) the way she explained it was “and with these things in place, the risks have increased..and that vessel..from one of her ovaries…just jumped out at me. She did bleed quite a bit. I don’t THINK it’s life threatening but I’m going to keep her here and monitor her”

I don’t know what I’m going to do if they call me today and inform me that she didn’t make it. I will literally go insane. I might have to be admitted.

• Doodler
                                Participant

There is no way to know what might have truly happened but I agree that there might have been a mistake made. That was kind of questionable with how she described it as ‘jumped out’. It sounds like a vessel moved and she cut it by accident. I am beyond grateful to have a great vet because it is scary when you don’t know who you can trust with your beloved pet. Too bad he’s no where near Utah or I’d be happy to give you a recommendation!!

Dface – Your story is unbelievable. I am sorry it took so long for you to forgive yourself for that but that was not on you either. I guess when you hear of medical mistakes that have been done to humans we should except similar things with our pets. It just shouldn’t happen.

• Alisha
                                  Participant

Yeah :/ I wish they would at least call and tell me she’s freaking alive. I read two or three reviews where they had to harass the clinic to even get the information that their pet actually died. They don’t tell you right away so of course I’m thinking the worst. This is making me sick. She needs to be home with me. She is not used to my absence. I work from home and I’m sitting next to her all day :/

• Alisha
                                    Participant

I decided to call. They said she was awake and stable but they need to actual doctor to come in and evaluate her and she will call me then. I’m wondering what all of this is going to cost. The IV fluids, the overnight stay, etc I only had enough money for the routine spay…

• Dface
                                      Participant
                                      1084 posts Send Private Message

Not to be ‘that person’ but would it be worth going to the clinic? You can insist on being allowed to see her and you might get a sense of how she is doing. I would trust some vets with my rabbits 100% but you seem very very concerned right now.
                                        Im not a big fan of going against vet advice, but I do believe you know your rabbit the best, so if you think you need to go be with her – go be with her. At this point id probably have rang a few other vets and just see if i can transfer her, or bring her home and ask to care for her from there.

• Alisha
                                        Participant

I’ve just never done this before :/ and it IS an hour away. I’m just kinda hoping the doctor comes in and checks on her and lets me know it’s okay to pick her up

• Alisha
                                          Participant

She is back home safe. She is on a couple of medications for about 10 days and to not have any real physical activity for two weeks. But overall she’s pretty good. She’s obviously a little strange right now but she seems healthy.

• Kiki
                                            Participant
                                            205 posts Send Private Message

she’s been through a lot , she will be strange for a couple days i am sure. But I am also sure that she is probably so happy and relieved to be at home with you!

• Alisha
                                              Participant

She won’t eat or take treats quite yet but luckily she still grinds her teeth when I pet her So she must not be feeling TOO bad hopefully

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                18092 posts Send Private Message

Sorry to hear about what you’ve both been through. I hope she is much better today.

The vet was very nice but I feel like she may have made a mistake and tried to come up with reasons why the mistake was made? (the fat, etc) the way she explained it

This was my first thought when I read about the fat. That sounds very strange to me…no way to know for sure, of course but I suggest you leave a review on their website (or wherever you were reading the reviews) to warn other rabbit owners. Don’t say anything specific as that would be libel, as you are not sure it was the vets fault or not, I would just mention the routine spay went badly.

((((Luna)))))

• Alisha
                                                  Participant

She’s been grinding her teeth a lot. She hasn’t been totally curled up, she still moves a lot and grooms herself and even started munching a little on hay and took a treat today but she’s been loudly grinding her teeth and also shaking her head a bit…or her ears. One of the two. I’m not sure what the ear shaking thing is. I’m hoping the pain (assuming that’s why she’s grinding her teeth) goes down with her next medicine time in an hour. Poor girl

If anyone knows what the head shaking is…

• Three Little Bunnies
                                                    Participant
                                                    63 posts Send Private Message

Sorry, I know this reply is kind of late!

I got two of my three rabbits fixed at a vet recommended by the local rabbit shelter. Bolt was almost three, (approximately) and Shadoe was about one and a half. My sister and I actually raised money to get them fixed at a tractor show. I know how difficult it is not knowing if your pet is okay. I was worried about them all day and afterwards because they weren’t feeling well. I hope your bunny is doing well!

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Something bad happened today.