Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • Benthebunny
      Participant
      550 posts Send Private Message

My bunny has been scratching at his ears a bit today. And usually when I open his ache he is antsy to come out. But right now he won’t come out. He is sort of just sitting there eyes half closed, his ears are flat against his body. Someone help me

• Benthebunny
        Participant

Update: I picked him up out of his cage and let him run around and he is not moving around that much.

• Muchelle
          Participant
          1141 posts Send Private Message

If you think he is unwell you can only call the vet and have him checked! You know him best, so you are the only one able to tell if his behaviour doesn’t feel right

• Benthebunny
            Participant

update: OH NO HE JUST VIOLENTLY SCRATCHED HIS EAR

• Bam
              16871 posts Send Private Message

Dear Benthebunny, please try to calm down and breathe! Ear-scratching is not an emergency. If he is scratching his ears like a madbunny, contact your vet and make an appointment. You can examine his ears with a magnifying glass and look for dandruff and/or sores. Your bun could have a skin parasite, but that is so easily remedied.
                If you don’t see any skin irritation or dandruff, you can just wipe his ears with a cool compress because that can help soothe an itch.
                And try not to worry so much! Ben picks up on your worry, bunnies are very perceptive.

• Benthebunny
                Participant

Sorry I think I have really bad anxiety and stress and I’m very emotional. I get stressed a lot by my brothers. I would not be suprised if I started growing grey hair. And for worrying about my bunny, I try really hard not to but i get panic attacks and when I think somethings wrong with my bunny I get this terrible feeling in my body like a head rush mixed with heavy breathing and dizziness. Anyway enough about me, I just really needed to get it out there. Ben is meatloafing sometimes but I think he’s just tiered. And he is scratching his ears evert now and then. I wet a towel with cold water and patted lightly on the places he itched now we wait and see if it gets better or worse I am so happy I joined this forum a month ago.

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

Awww….I have a lot of anxiety too. And I know it can be hard to not worry about your bunny.

• Benthebunny
                    Participant

He is shaking his head occasionally too. I’m worried.

• Monkeybun
                      Participant
                      10479 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like it could be ear mites. Best to get him checked out at a vet to be sure

• Benthebunny
                        Participant

I don’t know how he could get ear mites. He has almost never been outside.

• Monkeybun
                          Participant
                          10479 posts Send Private Message

Almost never isn’t never And they can be brought in via hay, food, you from outside, bugs, other pets etc. So still best to get him checked out. Ear mites left unchecked can cause some serious damage.

• LBJ10
                            16898 posts Send Private Message

I agree. If he’s scratching a lot, the most likely culprit is mites. And bunny does not need to be outside to get them, as Monkeybun pointed out.

• Bam

Is he still scratching his ears?

Take a magnifying glass or just sit yourself in a room with very good lighting, with Ben in your knee, and examine his ears. Do you see any crusts, any dandruff or signs of red, irritated skin? (If you see crusts, don’t try to get them off, that will hurt him.)

Crusts indicate ear-mites, dandruff (not just a tiny, tiny bit) indicates fur mites. You need a vet to prescribe the right medication, which is Revolution (selamectin). It’s a bunny-safe spot-on preparation that is applied to the nape of the neck.
                                Some vets prefer to give ivermectin instead of Revolution. If your bun has a parasite, you need to convince your parents that your bunny needs to see a vet. Esp if it is ear mites.

Do NOT use Frontline or any other anti-parasitics for dogs or cats that has fipronil. It’s very very toxic to rabbits.

I do understand that you have anxiety and that it is bad. What you can do is try to breathe slowly. Anxiety makes it so a person can’t think properly, and that’s not helpful. I’m glad you are here now, hopefully we can be of some help to you with your bunny

• Benthebunny
                                Participant

I saw I. His ears with a flashlight and there is nothing. Maybe some wax but not anything else.

• Benthebunny
                                  Participant

After I wiped his ears with cold water he hasn’t sccratched much. Maybe once or twice but I have not seen any itching since.

• Bam

I hope it was just sth temporary then. You could add ears to a weekly check-up schedule. You can make a routine of looking at the ears, nails, the front teeth, the butt and anal glands and the underside of the feet once a week. That way you can detect things early, before they become health-issues.

• Benthebunny
                                      Participant

Thank you the last thing I want is my rabbit to die. Thats why I’m so paranoid.

• Benthebunny
                                        Participant

Posted By Benthebunny on 8/07/2016 2:37 PM
                                          My bunny has been scratching at his ears a bit today. And usually when I open his ache he is antsy to come out. But right now he won’t come out. He is sort of just sitting there eyes half closed, his ears are flat against his body. Someone help me

Ok guys I think he is ok. Maybe just a little itch. He is not scratching now. Thank you.
                                          I will tell you guys if we have problems again.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE