Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Soil in Rabbit Dig Box?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • FussyPaws
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Hello! So I am looking to create a decent dig box for my bunny! I have a very large cat litter box that I’m going to use, but I’m having trouble deciding what to put in it. I know a lot of people go for paper and/or cardboard, but I would like to go for something more natural, like soil or sand, if possible. Mess isn’t an issue (she already destroys her pen anyway, might as well have some fun with it) and I have a cat litter mat that I’m going to put down to catch the dirt she kicks out.

I am stuck between plain untreated soil without fertilizer in it, terrarium soil, reptile soil, or play dirt/sand used for children… Would any of these options be good and safe for rabbits? If so, which would be the safest and best option for my bunny?

Any and all help is appreciated 🙂 Thanks in advance

• Wick & Fable
        5770 posts Send Private Message

Unfortunately I do not have much information on this. I have seen dig boxes with soil and sand, and have also read what sound like legitimate concerns for both. I would think the most natural, chemical-free soil would be safest, as that’s what rabbits who are housed outdoors are constantly exposed to and get their paws on…

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• FussyPaws
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

I think that is what I’m going to try! I found some organic garden dirt online (chemical-free, seems to be bunny safe) and I think I’m going to try that. If it doesn’t work good, I’ll try something else 🙂

• Wick & Fable
            5770 posts Send Private Message

Be alert if your rabbit is eating it. If so, I would stop access until you can get a clear answer, preferably from a rabbit-experienced, exotic vet!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Sonn
              Participant
              1810 posts Send Private Message

I use a clean dirt/sand/coco fiber mix in my buns dig box. I would never ever leave them alone with it. My vet said if it even looks like they are nibbling at it to take it away. Luckily both of my boys like to just dig as much out as possible out and roll around in it and that’s it. It also makes for a cool spot to nap in.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Soil in Rabbit Dig Box?