Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Smoochies got spayed 2 weeks ago…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • agraybun
      Participant
      32 posts Send Private Message

Smoochies got spayed 2 weeks ago, for almost 4 days she only munched on a few lettuce leave everyday. She lost a lot of weight.  So when she started eating I was happy.  But she is eating a lot of pellets, before the spay she almost never would eat any pellets and they would just be in her cage just in case she got super hungry  one night and went through all her hay.   But anyway,  does she need all those pellets now? She gained her weight back already. I had her on a maximum of 2/3 cups thats what the bag said but that is alot accoring to the HRS.   So I want to cut back on all those pellets. I read from HRS. that she only needs 1/4 cup a day. Does she need more after the spay for recovery becuase of the concentrated nurtients in them? I just dont want her to become obese

Help, please.

Is there any super good nutrious veggies? There is a huge long list of veggies but which are best ?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

she should be fine with 1/4 cup. that will probably make her eat more hay, which is a good thing! the pellets are only supposed ot make up a tiny fraction of her diet.
          i’ve heard primarily: pellets= 5% veggies= 15% hay=80%

if her wieght has evened out, that’s good. start cutting back the pellets. each week give her a bit less until she is down to the 1/4 cup, it’s better if you do it gradually. house rabbits are very prone to obesity, and i *think* that risk rises after spaying… (that’s the only risk i believe… someone correct me if i’m wrong.)

as long as you are keeping with the guidelines in the veggies lists, she should be fine. most of the veggies are very good, but experiment with some different ones to see what she likes. the dark lettuces are favorites as well as herbs and greens (collard, dandelion). the other “weird” ones sometimes don’t go over as well (like bok choy, chard and kale… at least with my buns!) the pellets will fill in any nutritional gaps that are left from the veggies.

you really do not need to worry as long as you are following the guidelines.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Smoochies got spayed 2 weeks ago…