Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Smelly male bunnie

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • JodiM
      Participant
      99 posts Send Private Message

I’ve noticed my new male bunny Carmel, whom is only  4 days being neutered. He is 10 months old. But has a strong urine smell about him.  Is there anything i can do for this??

Thanks

Jodi

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

the smell will die down by the end of the month it is his hormones makes it smelll bad. as they deplete it gets less of an odor

• JodiM
          Participant

Great! Good to know!

Although i guess that means no sponge bath! LOL

• Hannah
            Participant
            274 posts Send Private Message

Male rabbits do tend to get much less stinky a few weeks/months after they’ve been neutered. However, some bunnies tend to be sort of stinky afterwards anyway– Monty has almost no scent since he was neutered, whereas Humphrey’s cage needs to be cleaned up much more often than Monty’s because he’s stinkier. Good litterbox habits do help, definitely. However, if the bunny *himself* (not his cage) is stinky, I would check her fur for any matting or discoloration– he may be getting pee on himself, in which case he isn’t doing a very good job of cleaning.

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

I would skip a full bath, but you can spot clean him if needed. the good news is as others mentioned, the stinky wee will stop once his hormones calm down.

• JK
                Participant
                2223 posts Send Private Message

Edson does not smell at all. I also change his litter daily so that helps. You’d never know I had a rabbit if you walked into my house. The key is keeping things really clean if you don’t want a smell! Plus I only have one bun.

• Deleted User
                  Participant
                  22064 posts Send Private Message

Try and add litter boxes or something for him to play with when he goes in his favorite spots. It’d be better if you add his favorite toy in the favorite place that he likes to go. That way he won’t wanna pea on his favorite toy. I have a male bunny as well but a little younger and not neutered, I’ve found that this is the better solution. And the smell will eventually die down.

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

rabbits also have anal glands that need to be cleaned sometimes. i believe that’s more of a skunky smell than a urine smell, but just be aware of that.

• Deleted User
                      Participant
                      22064 posts Send Private Message

Also, his ormones are dying down gradually, they have a peculiar smell attached to them and will eventually go away. My bunny has that smell all of the time and it’s a tad stinky, when that happens I go straight to cleaning his anal glends and the rest of monthly maitinence. This solution could work for you so try it out. But since yours has just been neutered try doing it twice a week to ease the smell faster.

• JodiM
                        Participant

OmG!! I don’t know if I can do the anal gland thing.  Is it similar to a dog?  I once had a miniature poodle that needed to have her anal glands relieved. She would start scooting if they bothered her.   When I took her to the vet, they used gloves and went right in the anus to express them.  I told them I couldn’t do that, so they showed me a way to help by doing it without going internally.  Is this the same thing??

Also, I have noticed his smell has gone done even since yesterday and he’s using his litter box for peeing, not soo much for pooing though.  He’s still so new to the whole situation.  He came from a home that didn’t feed him any greens or hay, and he was kept in a cage with pine shavings for the flooring.  So he’s used to going where he pleases, and as for diet, the rescue fed him greens and hay and so he started having a bit of diarhea.  I’ve noticed this is also better just from Sunday.  But now, I did notice his bum or urinal area is stained and a bit smelly.

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

don’t stress on the snal gland thing. some buns don’t need it dones as often. my bun is approx. just over a year and she’s never had it done and i’ve never had a problem. i just mentioned it b/c if you suddenly get a strong scent, that could be it. you can ask your vet to do it and they can show you.

• melissact
                            Participant
                            27 posts Send Private Message

I know it’s a bit of a point of contention amongst pet owners, but many breeders recommend a supplement that you put into your bun’s water that neutralizes odors.

http://www.rabbitstop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FS221&Category_Code=2Supplements&Product_Count=0

We do use it, because it was recommended to us, and it does seem to work, although I know that others object to it.

• MarkBun
                              Participant
                              2842 posts Send Private Message

My buns have never had them done. And they are not like a dog’s gland at all – they are much easier to clean but I’m not going near that topic. Makes me go *urrrk* thinking about it.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Smelly male bunnie