Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Smelly Bunny

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • RachelF
      Participant
      287 posts Send Private Message

Honey has started this new thing the past couple of days where she digs all of the carefresh out of her litter pan and then poops and pees in the empty litter pan. .. and most of the time I catch her laying on top of it. Whats the deal?

And she smells horrible lately because of it!

What should I do? about the litter box and cleaning her off? 

• Beeslee
        Participant
        147 posts Send Private Message

I had the same problem with the litter flying out of the box. Here is the thread. It was called   “screen over litter” if the link does not work.

https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/forumid/2/postid/55162/view/topic/Default.aspx

Not sure about the cleaning her off but someone here will def know.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

Thanks Bunykins! that is the best post to look at, it has all kinds of ideas of screens to put over the litter. I have one bunny that has a screen that we made from the lighting grates that go over flourescent lights – we got it at Home Depot. DUring the week, we take what ever is on the rate, lift up the grate, dump it into the box, and place the grate back on top. We put hay on top of the grate for extra padding and for the bun to eat, but not too much as then she will dig the hay out!

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Note: Bunykins – I added a “link” in your post so that it is easier to get too the thread that you referenced.

• Beeslee
              Participant

Thanks MooBunnay! I still don’t know how to do that and also the pic ones. One day I will figure it out LOL

• RachelF
                Participant
                287 posts Send Private Message

thanks guys! I think I am going to use the “hardware cloth” idea and cut it to size cause I have one of the corner sized litterpans. i’ve seen those litterboxes with the grates a million times and it didn’t cross my mind! I’m so glad I found this site!

any ideas on cleaning her? I used a little water(which she doesn’t mind cause she is used to me wetting a washcloth and getting the extra fur off during shedding season) but she still smells like a dirty litterbox…

• Beeslee
                  Participant

Not sure on what to do about that besides taking a washcloth and cleaning her up as much as you can. I think your buns will do her own cleaning in a few days but as long as you can control her laying in her pee it should get better. Not sure if someone else has any ideas on the bb but I would try also to do a search for dirty bums and see what comes up on the board. Oh I forgot to mention maybe she does not like her litter and that’s why she is kicking it all out. Hmmm you just never know what goes through a buns mind.

• RabbitPam
                    11002 posts Send Private Message

I think you might try a new litter because it might be that she doesn’t like what you’ve been using.

After a damp washcloth, or even without using one, pat her with corn starch. It will dry her wet fur and absorb the odor.

• SnuggleBunny
                      Participant
                      53 posts Send Private Message

my bun was doing the same thing when she was recovering from her spay, she’d move all the hay out of her litter box then pee and lay in it. she was a little gross recovering patient with no patience for me trying to clean her, so i did the grate over the litter box thing too!
                        at petco i found some bunny cleaner, kinda like windex for bunnies, it was like a spray and you wash cloth it off, so if she’s used to you using a wash cloth on her, just spray some on, or check a pet supply store in your area for a similar sort of product. because i understand, its not as fun cuddling when your bun is a stinker!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Smelly Bunny