Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A smelly bunny

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnyfofo
      Participant
      67 posts Send Private Message

I have two rabbits one is an unknown breed the other is a lionhead who always smells like old gym socks. I have to bath him about once a month, the rabbits groom each other so I am unsure why he has this smell. He had an ear infection a about a month ago but it has since cleared up and the vet gave him a clean bill of health. From what  I understand rabbits don’t have much of a body oder, my other rabbit doesn’t smell at all. I clean their pen out about twice a day to ensure there is never poop on the floor, (the lion head is still youngand learning how to use a litter box). Any suggestions?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

That’s strange.

Generally in humans and animals, a bad smell indicates sickness. Soooo I’d take him to the vet and have a full work up-blood tests at a minimum. Just cover the bases, they really shouldn’t smell. So rule out sickness first.

Clearly you are keeping it clean enough so no worries there! I would stop the bathing, and you can use “baby powder” that’s cornstarch based (NO talc) and just rub some in his fur and brush it out. That will make him smell like he had a fresh bath without the risks inherant in bathing.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

you mentioned that the lionhead is young. is he neutered already? that’s the only other thing i can think of besides illness like K&K said. or might your other rabbit be spraying him (even neutered males can spray urine sometimes, esp. during the bonding process.)

• bunnyfofo
            Participant

Both of them are fixed and they have been together for a couple of months now. I will try taking him to the vet to have blood work done to rule out any sickness. He becomes so stinky that it makes the whole room smell.

• bunnytowne
              Participant
              7537 posts Send Private Message

I wonder could it be the anal glands?  And no rabbits should not stink.   Yes the vet trip good thing to do there.  You know an ear infection can make a bad smell too.  Maybe it came back.

• DiscoBaby!
                Participant
                1 posts Send Private Message

Ditto on what bunnytowne said. Have the Scent Glands checked. Definitely a bun would have an odor if the scent glands need to be cleaned.

• jerseygirl
                  22345 posts Send Private Message

As he is still litter training he may have soaked up urine in his fur, or hangs out in the litter box more than the other. The long haired breeds tend to get soiled from the litter more easily. A brush thru with the cornstarch should help that. If it is urine staining, watch carefully for urine scold to his hocks etc.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant

I really find the anal glands smell “Skunky”, like a dogs anal glands, or like a skunk. It’s a very musky smell…I wouldn’t compare it at all to socks nor would it smell from accross the room-so I’m stuck!! ..So Im glad your taking him to the vet!! Keep us posted!!

• bunnyfofo
                      Participant

The blood work came back normal, and the vet expressed the anal glands for me. The only thing I can think of is what jersey girl said about him sitting in his littler box, however he must be rolling in it because his back smells and I have checked him for sores on his back and nothing. Strange little bunny

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant

Huh-well that’s great you have a clean bill of health!

I’d try baby powder (corn starch not talc) and give that a go-I bet that will work nicely

• BinkyBunny
                          8776 posts Send Private Message

How long ago was he neutered? He may be spraying. Jack will still do this every once in a while and it will stink things up.
                            Many times when they spray, you can’t easily see it unless you really look for it. Feel the carpet to see if you can feel any tiny spread out wet spots, and then look on the walls to see if you notice anything. Sometimes the spray is clear, but most of time you will at least notice some light color. Does the “smelly” one seem more dominant than the other?

How long have you had them and has it always been this way or just  recently and if recently, was there anything that has changed at all? For example, did he start leaving territorial poops around etc. Sometimes, a dominant bunny will be sure to leave a particular scent on the poos themselves, but when they do this, the bunny can have sort of that “aroma” still lingering within their own self too. 

OHHH!!!  I just thought of something, your other bunny could be spraying HIM.   That is not unusual if the other bunny is dominant.  Even a neutered bunny will spray another to claim the other bunny or to ward him off.  Depending on their relationship. 

• bunnyfofo
                            Participant

I took a close at the wall behind the cage and i did notice some spray on the wall so i cleaned that real good. Gizmo seems to be the more dominate one. I have had dudely for about a year and a half and i wasn’t planning on getting a second rabbit but when i saw gizmo it was love at first sight and he was in need of a home, he’s been with me for about 6 monthes. the bonding took about 4 months but now they get upset of they are seperated. Dudly gets very panicking if he can’t be with gizmo. Maybe dudley is sprying gizmo, is that something that it stop by itself with time as they become more bonded or so i need to do something?

• bunnytowne
                              Participant
                              7537 posts Send Private Message

I dont’ know the answer to that.  I think the spraying will die down in time.  Usually does.    Great that you found the problem.

• BinkyBunny
                                8776 posts Send Private Message

EDITED DUE TO A MISUNDERSTANDING: I originally said = The spraying should die down once they are bonded again.

But you said they are bonded so then the spraying should die down in time, once the one that is spraying feels absolutely positive that comfortable that he is for sure in his “forever” place with his “forever” friend.   You’ve only had him for six months, and you said they get upset when they are separated – so it may just be a security thing.  Are they housed together?

My bunny Jack and Rucy have been bonded for many years but about once a month he will spray her and the territory it seems as reassurance OR if we have been around other animals, and he smells that on our clothes, then the spraying can start up.

Spraying habits, if they were neutered rather early usually will die down completely, but if spraying had set in prior to to neutering, sometimes they can do what my bunny Jack does – a sporatic, but not often spray.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A smelly bunny