Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Smell

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ralph
      Participant
      56 posts Send Private Message

Hi there ,

It’s been a while .

Question please about the smell that rabbits cause.
        I had to put my bun indoors due to extreme cold on the balcony.
        Not sure what are uncomfortable degrees for Rabbits in general. I simply apply the Human reasoning for a human

being on an animal.

Now for the smell , I have used Eco Straw to great success , however it looks like poo when it’s usage is done. ^^
        I was wondering what other methods can I use to drive away the smell, after a day or too of clean bedding (news paper in tray)
        I keep my bun in a cage with adequate flooring. 

Thank you …

Ps. can I use cat litter to get rid of the smell a little bit ?

Funny Bunny

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

oh so cute! i missed the pics of your guy! he’s beautiful.

smell is a tricky thing, some rabbits are stinkier than others. neutering helps with odor, it will greatly decrease, even eliminate the smell.

you cannot use most cat litters, clay or clumping litters are dusty and dangerous. a wood based pelleted cat litter is okay, no wood shavings. you can use a recycled paper litter, altho those do not always control odor very well. some members have had great success with aspen wood litters, if those are available in your area, you could maybe try a thin layer below your regular eco-straw litter. another option is wood stove pellets or horse bedding pellets. while they might not do much in the way of odor control, they are SO CHEAP, that you could change the box daily and STILL spend less money than on other more expensive litters.

rabbits can handle temps that are a bit colder than we can comfortably withstand, but drafts or wetness are not good for them. so you did the right thing bringing him inside.

some veggies can cause more smell to the urine. this is one of those things that i learn and forget on a daily basis tho ;o) someone else should come along and they’ll be able to tell you which veggies specifically.

• Ralph
          Participant
          56 posts Send Private Message

thanks a lot Beka

• pryzmkess
            Participant
            50 posts Send Private Message

Honsbeek, the only way I know to cut the smell is put hay over whatever litter you’re using. For me, anyway, this lets the urine soak into the litter and the poop just sits on top. Then I wipe down the boxes with vinegar when I clean them. For me, that’s enough. You could probably use Arm & Hammer baking soda, if you mixed it into the bottom layer, that might help too.

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

check to make sure your bun hasn’t peed somewhere he/she shouldnt. when we were having a smell problem we cleaned out the cage constantly, but found out that the smell was coming from a pee spot behind the couch!

Other than that I use natures miracle when I notice any smells, just spray it in the carpeting and whatnot.

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

very good point allenj! that happened to us too when one of the buns overshot the litterbox. for a few days there was a smell even tho the boxes were clean. i finally figured out the rug below the box was damp.

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

I use aspen supreme (it does really well with cutting down the “amonia” smell) and I guess they have new and improved carefresh, but I still find that for paper based – Yesterday’s news (a paper pellet type of litter) works better. 

Basil is one of the greens that can make their pee rather smelly.

Rabbits do handle cool weather okay 55F is usually fine and up to 75 degrees is all within the comfort range. However, what you have to keep in mind is what they are used to, so it’s best not to take a bunny that is used to 75 degrees and then have a drastic temp change to 55, and it also goes the other way around, you have to be careful to not bring them in from cool to hot. It’s best to first put them in a cooler place for a few hours, like a bathroom or basement to help them get acclimated.

As far as litterbox smell, etc, let us know what ends up working for you.

• Sica
                    Participant
                    40 posts Send Private Message

I have been using wood stove pellets for my two buns, the box has high sides so they don’t overshoot and I change the box every 3 days or so. A 40 pound bag cost about 5 dollars at home depot…..Super cheap and I haven’t had any pee smell….. vaguely woodsy smelling!!!

• Dee
                      Participant
                      704 posts Send Private Message

Wow- $5 a bag- I’m gonna switch for sure! I’ve been using aspen shavings and don’t notice any smell. Ludicris’s odor did improve once he was neutured, and Nelli never smells at all- such a lady :p . We change the litter boxes every other day- they’re in the kitchen, so it’s a must!
                        About temperature, I know rabbits can endure cold better than some small furries like hamsters, but I think they like to be warm just like us. Lude spends much of his day on his cozy red blanket, butt shoved right up against the oil-filled radiator space heater that we have. I keep it on low, for fear of him roasting himself. I guess my point is, looking at my spoiled bun enjoying the luxury of heat, I find it sad to think of all the bunnies that spend their lives year-round in a hutch. I think mant people assume that just because they can survive it, bunnies “like” the cold. So Honsbeek, you’re doing the right thing. I’m sure you’ll find the right thing to handle the little odor issue and it will be worth it . It’s so fun to watch bunnies make themselves at home in the house too- they look so entitled as they perch on the couch, devouring your favorite throw pillow. Good luck!

• FluffyBunny
                        Participant
                        1263 posts Send Private Message

I suggest wood pellets, they’re super cheap and the only smell you’ll get is a slight smell of wet wood by the cage if it isn’t cleaned for 1-2 days

• Ruffles&Daisy
                          Participant
                          265 posts Send Private Message

I would suggest feline pine if you can’t get wood stove pellets… I’m so jealous of people with WSP. I line my litter box with a sheet of paper towel, put the litter on top, then a bit of hay, but mostly I keep the hay in a hay holder. I empty it every other day… NO EXCEPTIONS. My rabbit does not smell. It’s amazing how non-smelly he is. If he isn’t fixed, then that might be causing it too, or like someone else said, maybe he peed elsewhere.

• ConnBunnies
                            Participant
                            15 posts Send Private Message

I use stove pellets and cover it with a bit of hay and I can wait a week to change with two bunnies using the same box. I find that having a large box with the hay basket hanging over it helps contain the mess and requires less frequent changes. I use the bottom of what was supposed to be our 1st bunny’s home before we knew better. It is three feet by twon feet at least and both buns can be in there at the same time. I love the stove pellets – the only problem is that here n Connecticut we can have trouble finding them in the winter. When they are not available I use Woody Pellets – much the same as the stove type, but produced to line horse stalls. Also about $5 for a 40lb bag.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Smell