Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Small Poops – Early Onset of GI Stasis?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • snowballsmomma
      Participant
      61 posts Send Private Message

Hi everybody!

I got a new foster bun about a week ago named Hawaii.  She’s quite shy so I haven’t even pet her yet (or groomed her unfortunately because she’s so scared…) but she seems to be slowly warming up to her foster home 🙂

Last night, I noticed Hawaii seemed to be making slightly less poops in my litter box and I didn’t really see her drinking water, but I know I am a worrywart so I didn’t think about it much.  But this whole morning, while she did have a decent amount of poops, all her poops are about 50%/60% of the normal size.  They are not misshapen at all.  She’s still acting normal though – she ate all her veggies, looked for her pellets, and I did see her eating hay (although I don’t think she ever eats as much as she should), plus she was still exploring all morning outside of her cage which I was happy about.

I am wondering – is there anything I should do to help prevent this from going into full-on GI stasis, or should I bring her into the vet?  I have already been feeding her veggies wet and I put a little apple juice in her water to entice her to drink, although not sure if that worked or not.

I do have simethicone on hand as well as some zantac (I read someone mentioned it could be a gut-mobility drug?), although I heard zantac has been discontinued so not sure if I should give it to her.  I don’t have any pineapple, papaya tablets or Benebac either.

Thanks!!

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

As long as her appetite is normal (which is sounds like it is), she’s acting normal, and she is producing a good amount of poops, I wouldn’t worry just yet.  Some bunnies poop size will vary a bit throughout the day (they will get smaller if they haven’t eaten much hay recently). She is a very new bun for you so it’s good you are being vigilant though.

Eating lots of hay will promote bigger poops, so I would keep offering hay in different ways and places. Some bunnies eat a lot more if it’s refreshed throughout the day in smaller amounts, rather than having a hay rack stuffed full. Eating hay will also make them drink more water.

If she is molting then it would be a good idea to groom her (you can put her on your lap or the table for this if needed). But yeah overall I wouldn’t worry!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Dana. Sometimes rabbit poop size fluctuates based on the time of day or just the day in general. One of my rabbits typically always has smaller poops in the AM,

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• snowballsmomma
            Participant
            61 posts Send Private Message

Thanks Dana and Wick!  That’s reassuring to hear… her poops did get a bit bigger in the evening (not to normal size, but at least a bit bigger), so hopefully it will go back to normal tomorrow but I will continue to watch her closely.  The hay suggestions are helpful- right now it’s mostly in her litter box and I refill once a day, but I’ll try refreshing a bit more often and putting the hay somewhere else and see if it helps!   Thank you both 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Small Poops – Early Onset of GI Stasis?