Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Small hair loss on whiskers line

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rafaela
      Participant
      30 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone! i have a young rabbit called Missô and recently, while we were cuddling, i noticed that she has two small hairless spots on her nose whiskers’ lines, on both sides. I’ve never saw it on her before and i don’t know if it is common on rabbits (since, for example, a hairless spot behind guinea pigs ears are normal). Might it be ringworm? I’m soon making a vet appointment, but i wanted you guys opinion since i’m new on bunny world. Thank you!

• Bam
        16876 posts Send Private Message

I think you could monitor this for now. Rabbits shed their whiskers and the hair around them same as other hair. If the skin is smooth and uncompromised, this could be normal shedding. It’s great that youre being vigilant though, rabbits need vigilant humans.

If you see scabs, flaking, excessive redness etc in the area, it warrants a vet visit. Rabbits are prone to fur mites i e cheyltiella parasitovorax. They’re easily remedied with Revolution (selamectin). (PSA regardng antiparasitics for buns: Never use any compound containing fipronil on buns. It can be deadly toxic. End of PSA).

• Rafaela
            Participant

Thank you so much! I feel much better now and i’ll for sure keep an eye open  for her! I’ve noticed it’s a bit flaking and sometimes a small like snot piece of hair can be easily take from her face. Even if she’s playing, eating, pooping and peeing normally, i’ll take your advice and see a vet asap, i’m just so worried it can get worse without monitoring :^( thank you so much again!! (also your little bunny is so cute and shiny!!)

• Bam
            16876 posts Send Private Message

It doesnt look alarming to me. A rabbit sheds at a minimum twice per year, more often if the bun is desexed. In warm parts of the world, continous shedding is not rare.

Monitor appetite, poop, activity level and interest in the environment. If you see inappetence and/or a decrease in fecal output, obviously make s vet appointment.

• LBJ10
              16907 posts Send Private Message

It doesn’t look concerning to me. At least not how it looks right now. Nothing wrong with waiting to see if the fur grows back. It could just be molting.

• Rafaela
                  Participant

It makes a lot of sense now, i’m currently living in Brazil and it’s summer now, i brush her everyday, but never the face. I must keep an eye open, but i’m surely less concerned! Thank you so much

• Rafaela
                    Participant

I think i’m going to wait a week and a half maybe, to see if it increases or grows back. She has this habit to tickle her face very hard with her feet since she arrived home, i wonder if it’s relative. Thank you for answering!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Small hair loss on whiskers line