Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Small bunnies?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • fld
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of getting a bunny, and I was wonder are there bunnies that stay small. Like really small? smaller than a fist maybe?

Because of I heard from a friend there are bunnies that called Micro-Bunnies, but I had no luck finding infomation about this.

I thank you in advance for you concern and aid on tihs matter.

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

welcome fld,

i have never heard of a micro-bunny. the smallest bunnies that I know of are the netherland dwarf rabbits who can weigh up to 2 1/2 pounds. the one thing to consider is that dwarf bunnies are often more high strung than their larger counterparts.

• Hedi
          Participant
          969 posts Send Private Message

Ive never heard of micro bunnies. To be honest, sounds kinda bad. Ive heard they have done that to cats and they are all deformed looking.

I have a netherland dwarf. She is so cute with buggy eyes but we have had her for two years and she is still always nervous. Shes always running around or hiding. She rarely lets us love on her and if we try and pick her up then we know for several days we wont be seeing her because shes upset. She never stays in the same place very long.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

I havnt heard of rabbits that small either.  I think it might have originated from a photoshop job online or maybe pictures of baby rabbits which are small but do grow up to be at least 2 pounds.  I agree that the smaller your rabbit the more high strung they are.

• x liddo bunny x
              Participant
              314 posts Send Private Message

well i have holland lops and i heard they only get to 3-4 lbs. they are really friendly but depends on the bunny it self sometimes. right now my buns are really small and i live in an apartment and they seem to do fine. =) mine are about a foot long when they lay flat down and relaxed (lazy mode =P) but when i hold them they get all tiny and their bum fits on my hand. and my hands are tiny (15 cm long 9 cm wide) not sure if that is small enough for you but if you really want something that completely fits into ur hand maybe a russian dwarf hamster is for you. my mother has one and he is the cutest thing. (not cuter than my buns though =P) he is chubby and fluffy. mine is also taught how to use a litter box and he likes to sit in my dad’s breast pocket and sleep. he is very friendly to others too. but depends on you. if you want a friendly animal what ive learned is to put ur hand in a cage or where ever and see which ones come up to you and try to pet it. if it lets u most likely hes going to be friendly, if he sits there and does nothing mostlikely hes scared and will be harder to tame. (that wasnt the case for my buns though, mochi and emo(pochi) were both scared and timid but mochi is now more friendly than emo but both are still a little scared. takes time and lots of LOVE to tame any pet)

hope that helped

• dmh426
                Participant
                433 posts Send Private Message

Might it be “mini” and not “Micro”. ??? There are such things as mini rexes. They are approximately 3-4 pounds. I’ve never heard of a bunny being smaller than a fist.

• Hedi
                  Participant

lol

I have a minirex and there is nothing "mini" about her! lol She is 5lb and my little dwarf is 2lb.

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

Lily was a dwarf lop … very cute but also very skittish and would run a mile. The 13 months I had her she never approached me outside her pen area … in her pen she was ok for a while but if she had enough she would hide in her box until I had finished cleaning her out.

It was a shame really … she was so different from my Moggie bunny ‘Sprinkles’ who adored affection and would sit on my lap for ages being petted. Sprinkles preferred human company against bunny company. Sprinkles was like a ‘puppy’ (sometimes I think she thought she was), forever following me around the house, would love being out in the garden helping me. I could even have her out the front garden and she would never run off and if she did wonder a bit I just had to call her and she came a running.

The next bunny I get will be a big lump of a thing … I would love a bunny that I could just hang out with and have some lovely qualities like Sprinkles.

But all depends on what you are looking for.

Good Luck Bunny Hunting!

Dawn
                      xx

• fld
                      Participant

Thank very much for everyone whom replied, and I am grateful to have your thoughts on this matter.

I’ve decided to go with a Mini Rex, which was probably the cutest one they had left. I shall take a few pictures of it soon. Whether how small or big it will grow, I guess I will have to accept to whatever size it will reach.

But as for the moment, I am kinda concern about the bunny being uncomfortable with her new home. How long may I ask some of the board members here, for their bunnies/rabbits to settle down?

I don’t want the her to be unhappy, is there anyone way to assist her? Or shall I just let her adjust to her new home?

Thank you all once again, for your concerns and your assistance on this matter.

• x liddo bunny x
                        Participant

well, i bought mine 2 weeks ago and they are settling down fine in their cage but as for out farther than the door, they are a little iffy but still curious so they will wander (dont want emo to wander too far though, still not fully potty trained) i think they will learn to settle down with humans in due time but you need to be patient with them. dont want to make them really fearful of you or to have them eating bad. they may not seem to like it at first but with time and love, they will learn that you are not as bad as they think and they will love you back as much as you love them. =)

please post pictures soon. ^ ^

• Gravehearted
                          Participant
                          2428 posts Send Private Message

it’s a great idea to check out the bunny info section of binky bunny to help you determine what things you’ll need to have before bringing home your bunny. there is also lots of information regarding litter training, diet, toys, health and behavior. there are lots of important things to consider – like making sure the bunny’s housing is large enough and doesn’t have a wire bottom floor.

much like people, bunnies all have different personalities. some bunnies will feel at home right away, and others may be nervous and it will take some time for them to feel safe. with a nervous bunny, it can really help to get on their level. lay on the floor, reading a book and most bunnies will come over to investigate you.

• fld
                            Participant

As promised, here is a picture of the bunny I have. I named her Sophie. And thank you very much your tip and guide Gravehearted. I am actually starting to litter train Sophie now.

• BinkyBunny
                              8776 posts Send Private Message

WELCOME FLD!

There are micro rex bunnies, but they are rather rare and I only have heard of a few breeders working with them.   I decided to do a google search when I saw your post, and I remember seeing one for sale for $350 bucks.    Because, as far as I know, they haven’t been around that long, there are probably health issues still to work out.  For example, smaller breeds, like netherland dwarfs can be susceptible to malocclusions.     

The bunny you have given a home to is beautiful, and rexes are known for their wonderful disposition (I don’t know anything about the micro disposition).   

The best way to get a bunny to settle in is to let him/her hang out in their place for a few days.   Sit by them, but don’t try to reach for them IF they seem shy.   Just get them to trust you.  In bunny language, ignoring each other is a sign of non-aggression.   Out of curiosity, your bunny will eventually come up to you and sniff you, and then you can offer a treat or a rub on the head and see what happens.

Some bunnies settle in within hours, others within days, others it can take weeks.  It’s all about your bunny  and how you handle yourself.  It is hard not to reach for and hold the most adorable sweet soft bunny face.   It’s almost torture!  But it will make your bunny feel safer if you allow him/her to approach you, not the other way around for the first few days or so.

How old is your bunny?  Do you plan on spaying/neutering?  

• Hedi
                                Participant

Sophie is beautiful! She has such pretty coloring.

• x liddo bunny x
                                  Participant

oh my god!!!! SOPHIE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!! looks so tiny and curious. id sometimes rather have a curious bun. =P

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Small bunnies?